Closed Thread
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
No ground plane under thermal pad was on purpose, watched a lot of youtube clips on hand sondering (with solder-iron or heat gun) and all of the said that ground planes under these chip were not easy at all to solder!
Tip: Add through hole (large enough) to the thermal pad, so you are able to solder it from the other side of board.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
Tip: Add through hole (large enough) to the thermal pad, so you are able to solder it from the other side of board.
Fixing everything

What should I do with:
-bypass capacitors??
-pull-ups?
(personally: if it's not completely neccessary, don't complicate things)

And:
-4 LED's? Backlight? Green light if on? Capslock?

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Fixing everything
long list...

What should I do with:
-bypass capacitors??
-pull-ups?
Few bypasses doesn't harm... specially after long cable.

I2C/INT Pullups are on the phone side (to 1.8V) so I (again) recommend using 1.8V LDO to supply TCA8424 to quarantee operation... (Datasheet: DVCC - The I2C bus should be pulled up to this rail.) Maybe it is enough to follow regulator capacitor rules, or just add one 100nF close to DVCC/GND pins.

(personally: if it's not completely neccessary, don't complicate things)
Just make it good enough...

And:
-4 LED's? Backlight? Green light if on? Capslock?
(at least one to see that everything is ok) Those are opendrain outputs, so can connect anode to 3.3V through resistor (just not to load 1.8V LDO)

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
I'd prefer Back light and maybe 2 Leds, one for Caps lock, if it's on and one for checking if the whole keyboard works (:
Just my opinion

Looking into this whole LDO and bypass business...

In the mean time, enjoy a royal ground plane

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Okay, so for a open learning process:

Bypass/decoupling capacitors are for smoothing out electrical connections, so if an SCL line is continuously pumping out square signals , this is picked up by other parallel wires, which is bad.

So:
-Vin likes a capacitor to GND, to give the chip a nice stable power supply. Also, the LED's also like a capacitor to supply the LEDs.
-SDA, SCL and INT do not like capacitor, because the ripples in the voltages are the signal.

Next, tuning down V33 from the phone to 1.8V for the chip. This is because the SDA,SCL&INT run at 1.8V and the chip uses MIN-0.7*VCC. So, we use a linear regulator on V3.3 - with again capacitors on both sides.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Motorola keypad was in the mail today, and -although people in this topic said differently- I kind of like it!

It sticks on the domesheet, which has sticky stuff on both sides, which will make for very easy construction and thus a stronger/thinner part! The clickyness of the domesheet also feel fine!

-well spotted, that is also a fake-N900 keyboard-

Edit: it is just a but small, only 100mm wide.. Will leave 15mm gaps on both sides.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-01-20 at 12:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
I love it. Directional keys are important. Arrow-keys are not for handheld anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Redfizh For This Useful Post:
Okay, here is the deal:

I've been going from 'hate it' to 'love it' over and forth about this Droid keyboard.
-It is a bit small, which will leave a 15mm bar at both sides, but maybe this is a good thing. My thumbs don't do yoga.
-It apparently feel rubbery, but I disagree.
-It is black and gold, what I like
-Last but definitely not least: it is available, cheap, easy manufacturing and only 1mm thick with domesheet.

I have done looking into a lot of different keyboards and the 'Ideal keyboard' thread has also not produced a suitable candidate.

Will this keyboard suffice -or in other words- would you buy it?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
im torn between lying to try and get a better keyboard and honestly saying that it could have no vowels and id still buy it.

i would be in love with a keyboard with a number row and traditional arrow buttons.

e.g.: if you miraculously made and sold a droid-keyboard-OH, id pay 3-4x more for one with a number row.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty