Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Announcing a sweet new port by solmumaha!

warzone2100

Warzone 2100 is a 3D real-time strategy game that was released in 1999. It's source code was liberated in december 2004. Development has picked up from the original source code to make it cross-platform and, in the end, better.
This is *the* fastest 640x480 3D game i've seen running on the tablets, easily doing 12-15fps (estimated)! The tutorial is easy-to-learn and perfect for stylus play. Some keyboard shortcuts do assist gameplay but we haven't found any to be necessary yet. Please test and give feedback!

This package is 17MB large. I recommend that you download it to mmc, then use the "install from file" feature in the application manager; for this you will need about 18MB free on your root filesystem. If you install the .deb directly from my website you may require ~35MB free.

The installer puts the 30.2 MB game data in /media/mmc2/share/, so that the binary and libraries only require 4.5 MB on your root filesystm.

Homepage: http://warzone2100.sourceforge.net
Warzone Info: http://warzone2100.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/
Chinook .deb: http://pupnik.de/chinook/wz2100_0.2.deb

(edit) sound isn't working yet. Needs an alsa backend, or someone getting alsa-oss or esd-oss emulation running

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-02-12 at 02:18. Reason: deb link changed, sound notice

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
omg this rocks.. gotta go... back.. to play more

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
This games great, I actually remember buying way back in 1999. I'm going to test it out on my n800, but only drawback is i've got no hardware keyboard for any shortcuts. Much appreciated for porting, I hope there is a way to get sound effects working.

Last edited by Nik1; 2008-02-12 at 00:57.

Wwhen I start it from launcher it just exits, when started from xterm it says:

~ $ warzone
warzone: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
~ $

Is there a dependancy I'm missing?

Major noob here... "Needs an alsa backend, or someone getting alsa-oss or esd-oss emulation running" can you elaborate for the newbies? TIA.

ALSA handles sound in most if not all Linux distributions (though more recent distros like Ubuntu have been working towards moving towards Pulse Audio).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by mwaldron View Post

~ $ warzone
warzone: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
~ $

its wz2100 from xterm to run start script

BTW i think i like full 800x480 resolution by modifying that script to add -800x480 to command line.

And in-game im mapping keys to rotate camera... sweet.

The Following User Says Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Same result

~ $ wz2100
warzone: error while loading shared libraries: libmad.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
~ $

The Following User Says Thank You to mwaldron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mwaldron View Post

~ $ warzone
~ $

Like pipeline said, run wz2100. The shellscript wz2100 works around the missing libraries by pointing the linker to 'known good' versions of the needed libraries with the command: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/share/warzone2100/libs

One play tip - tap lightly. If you tap more heavily, the game may register a 'click and drag' over a few pixels instead of a simple click.

(edit) Ahh libmad is the mpeg decoder library. To fix this do as root
apt-get install libmad0

(edit2) If you want to you can run in fullscreen 800x480 mode. Edit the file /home/user/.warzone2100/config and set resolution=800x480. It's a good deal slower though. Please post if it causes any problems.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-02-12 at 02:55.

That fixed it, thanks!