Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
having lost battery power often I have learned to shut down all internet apps and put the thing in offline mode whenever I'm moving around and don't expect to use the tablet. the constant searching mode is bad on the power. Mine gets really warm when that happens.
That happened to me at work. My hospital has a wifi 'guest' mode (that doesn't work for the N800) and after several hours making patient rounds, my N800 was sucked dry! This was with OS2007. I've been turning it off, but next week I'll try letting it go into standby with BT and wifi shut down and see what happens.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
The only complaint is the, with this setting, it sometimes goes on-line even if I don't want it to. At times I would like to force it to stay offline and leave the bluetooth on for sending or receiving files from a cellphone or computer.
I have my bluetooth set as invisible, and the wifi to not connect automatically. I used to put it in offline, but this is quicker. When I want to connect via my phone, it just works (I use a 5 minute idle timeout on packet-data), and for connecting to wifi I manually select to connect. When I'm done I just disconnect. I'm getting 2-3 days out of it at the moment, with probably an hour total browsing during the day, and another hour or 2 in the evenings.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
i wish my wlan card on my laptop did the same lol
if im not near a network, instead of shutting down, it boosts the radiation to the max to search for APs

lol, battery life goes from 8h to 2.5h

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
OK, I could of swore someone came up with a gui/button to do this but the crippled search features of this forum and google search pulled nothing up but this thread when searching for turn off wireless bluetooth.
Does anyone else remember the gui?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
OK, I could of swore someone came up with a gui/button to do this but the crippled search features of this forum and google search pulled nothing up but this thread when searching for turn off wireless bluetooth.
Does anyone else remember the gui?
There's a GUI for swichOnBT but nothing for switch off BT. I wonder how hard it would be to also make a switchOffBT? or even a toggle based on what's already been done? Anybody with programming experience able to comment?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Upon further investigation there is a gui for switchonbt
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/switchonbt/
so with the offline mode and the BT keys it looks like we are covered.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I think there is another approach that saves power and doesn't make you do anything to turn WiFi on and off (that is, it's automatic). In the Connectivity Control Panel, I have Connect automatically to WLAN; Search Interval as Never; and WLAN Idle Time as Unlimited. I think that makes the tablet not seek wifi on its own when I'm not using the browser. But when I launch the browser, it looks for WiFi and finds it. (Sometimes it launches the browser and doesn't find the home page on its first try, because the connection hasn't been established yet, but after "trying again" the connection continues to work fine.)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the settings, but I think it's saving power by not seeking WiFi, but still making it available when, and only when, I need it.

One caveat: once I've launched the browser, the WiFi stays on, even if I close the browser. So this is useful for power-saving only between the time you boot your NIT and launch your browser.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
There's a GUI for swichOnBT but nothing for switch off BT. I wonder how hard it would be to also make a switchOffBT? or even a toggle based on what's already been done? Anybody with programming experience able to comment?
I think you can click on the bluetooth icon to switch off the bluetooth, isnt it? Other wise I can add an off or toggle option for switchonbt

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Interesting results from a scenario I tested out today. At my office I get my wireless from a high end Nortel distributed system on our main floor. I am in the basement. When I bring the n800 into work the battery is dead by 3:00 even if I did not use it much. I was thinking it was using alot of power to get to the antennas on the lobby floor. I'm also right next to our 2500 phone PBX. I brought in a router from home and set it up in my office. Today I was connected to that AP and I still had a filled battery icon at the end of the day.

To answer the above question, Yes you can turn off BT from the BT icon in the status bar.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
I frequently find my n800 searching for AP's when I leave a few of my saved ones. This really drains the entire battery by the time im aware, anyone else have problems with this?