Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Believe me the "feeling that i will stick to my old tablets" will vanish very soon once you see the videos and reviews from forum members.
What about that 'feeling that I will consider an Android device or a Pandora or anyone who actually improves on the reasons I bought a tablet instead of a smart phone'?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What about that 'feeling that I will consider an Android device or a Pandora or anyone who actually improves on the reasons I bought a tablet instead of a smart phone'?
Well that is your decision.... but Pandora... really?

Well if the n800's speakers were better.... that advantage would be very minor compared to the real estate they would have increased on both sides of the device. A lot of people would prefer to have extended screen rather than front facing speakers.....
All that black unused space on either side of the displaying screen is... still screen?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I was not happy with volume levels for N800 or N810, especially the latter. I could rarely make out the GPS verbal instructions most of the time over road noise alone. I was informed that the N800 was capable of higher volume but it had been intentionally limited. Never got a good answer as to why though.

I just hope the next device is capable of being louder-- let ME decide if it's too loud and turn the volume down myself.
quick guess, french regulations. I bumped into something similar when looking into minidisc players, and people found that the ones sold in europe have the volume limited vs the asian and US versions, because of some french regulation.

So to be quick and cheap, nokia may well have just limited it to that level across the board...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
All that black unused space on either side of the displaying screen is... still screen?
looks like speaker and mic. At least one side seems to have a small hole in it like one find on a phone...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Well i dont really know what that space was for... but my guess would be to put in all the phone stuff. Anyway if they wanted to increase the size of the device, i would think screen size would be the first and front spacing speakers will never figure in anyone's list except yours.....

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
quick guess, french regulations. I bumped into something similar when looking into minidisc players, and people found that the ones sold in europe have the volume limited vs the asian and US versions, because of some french regulation.

So to be quick and cheap, nokia may well have just limited it to that level across the board...
Maybe it's time Nokia ignored countries who make it hard on everyone else...

Hey, one way to effect change!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Well that is your decision.... but Pandora... really?
"That's your decision?" is stating an obvious point. It doesn't really mean anything in a conversation. "Hopping on the N900... that's your decision." See? heh But Pandora, yeah--I think at this point, it still looks more attractive to me. I still prefer the clamshell as a more efficient way to hold all the hardware, I prefer two FULL SIZED SD card slots and I prefer the clamshell design to protect the screen, too. PLUS.. it's not a goofy slide-out keyboard. To that end, the keyboard is laid out VASTLY better. As to whether it'll turn out to be vaporware is another thing.. but I do prefer the overall product over this cell-phone device Nokia wants tablet people to buy.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
The full screen switch is not a hardware button.
Yup... I'm thinkin' the Digia @Web browser we played with awhile back may have given us a clue or two.

Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Actually, comparing the iPhone 8GB with the iPod Touch 8GB, it's currently 360 euros vs. 230 euros. That's a 130 euro markup for a much more capable device. I really don't think it's that bad.
A 56% markup isn't too bad. But in the States, you're looking at 162% markup.

That is, an 8GB iPod Touch is $229. An un-subsidized, no-contract-required iPhone 3G 8GB is around $599 (at least according to the news stories, I've yet to see one available at that price.)

Now, carrier subsidized, the phone is $99. But it requires a 2-year, $30/month data plan. As I spend my day at a computer, and have one readily available at home, I can think of better things to do with that $720.

I'm just sayin' - not everyone needs or wants a data plan.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dagwud For This Useful Post: