My friend gave me a book from Audible for my birthday, it is loaded on my main computer (Windows XP) in file format .aa I can load the files on my memory disk for the tablet but can't find any software that will play the audible book Any help?

Hmm, I don't think so but Audible gives you a choice on what format you want the book to be right? I think one of the choices is .mp3.

audible.com files are not available in .mp3 or any other freely available format. Trust me I have searched for many years. They can only be played on specific brands of audio players with the software built-in and activated by audible.com. I have a 770 and it would be great if it would play audible.com but I don't think so. I have a sansa player dedicated to audible.com files only.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Strangly, this question is being answred right now in another thread:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You can use Orb to listen to Audible books. You install Orb on your Windows computer, and run it from your N800 with it also loaded on the Windows computer.

Audible is a sponsor of Orb, which is a good thing for us Audible listeners! There is no way to listen to Audible audiobooks otherwise that I know of, unfortunately.

It works very easily and well once you get it set up.
look at:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5705

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ south germany
I'm using a lots of audible-books on my N800: First step I burn an audio CD-ROM from the aa-file (my wife can hear the CD in her car) and then I rip the CD-ROM with K3B and make normal mp3-files - which are accessible by the N800-Media-Player.

I've been researching this myself recently and have found a number of options the choice of which will depend on your level of technical expertise, convenience requirements and software availability/stability. In no particular order:

1. Burn and rip CD's - Technically this is reasonably straightforward if time consuming. If you can burn to an ISO file it will be quicker and save you media.

2. Capture player output from soundcard. After the initial setup this is again reasonably straightforward, but as it happens in realtime it takes longer than actually listening to the book. E.g. A seven hour book will have to play for seven hours and then you might need another hour to split the file up and save it to mp3. I did hear on the TWiT podcast of someone doing this for their entire library using some scripts on three computers running continuously for about two weeks.

3. Use a software converter. It's a cat and mouse game so may or may not be working with the current version. Have a look at this thread on Afterdawn: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23/103313

4. Run the Palm (Treo 650) Audible client on the Garnet VM. This method currently has the best potential, but the Garnet VM is not stable enough for long term use. I did manage to install the Audible player, but the VM crashed and lost the setup before I could get and books on to test if it worked.

5. Use the Audible Java player if a Maemo J2ME vm is ever released. There has been some work on compiling java for Maemo, but only for console apps. If a Mobile Edition GUI is ever release then this might be a solution.

6. Keep emailing Audible to ask for a native player. Try audible@custhelp.com and http://www.audible.com/contactus. Here is the lame response I got:
At this time, there are no plans to support these models since the operating system for them is Linux based, which is not a compatible OS with our application and encrypted file format. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience
I plan to email them back pointing out that the OS has nothing to do file format support and that with the Google Android platform coming next year, the number of Linux based devices is only going to increase.
On the subject of Linux support. The Audible Windows desktop client has been run under WINE with some success. A quick Google will find you details. This only works with x86 processors though so no Maemo.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The short answer:no.

However, if you have a Windows computer, you can stream Audible books to your N800 using Orb (www.orb.com). Audible is one of Orb's sponsors.I have streamed many Audible books to my N800 using Orb.

BTW: Don't rely on emailing them for anything. I was their good customer for many years and found them extraordinarily unresponsive to requests, though they always responded as quoted above.

And don't believe amyone who says it works with Wine unless they tell you THEY have done it. It didn't work for me when I tried it.

Last edited by geneven; 2007-12-17 at 10:29.

Just get goldwave. Works great.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
Just get goldwave. Works great.
While you're in examination mode. Once you PAY for Goldwave, loading .aa files for conversion results in an "Access Denied" error message -- followed by your system crashing. Likely Audible got to Goldwave ...

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
FYI- Amazon just bought Audible. I would imagine that they are going to change the landscape for audio books very quickly.

I use Amazon pretty much exclusively to buy mp3s, and i am sure they will bring the same ease of use to the audiobook world.