Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hello,

I have latest community CSSU and since upgrade have some stability problems with widgets -- "something" cause hildon-desktop to crash and all widgets dissappear, can add them manually but just got "tired" and for now I live without them (it's my only phone, calls and mails work, other stuff is not so important). Only widgets are affected, application shortcuts are OK.

Usually I use HAM, but today I decided to update via terminal and "apt-get upgrade" told me that I have 84 packages waiting. It went OK, but there are still some packages left:

Code:
Reading package lists... Done 
Building dependency tree 
Reading state information... Done 
The following packages have been kept back: 
libqtm-11-feedback libqtm-12 libqtm-12-contacts 
libqtm-12-declarative libqtm-12-location 
libqtm-12-messaging libqtm-12-multimedia 
libqtm-12-publishsubscribe libqtm-12-serviceframework 
libqtm-12-systeminfo libqtm-12-versit libsdl-mixer1.2 
pyside-qt4 python-pyside syncevolution 
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded. 
/home/user #
I have 2 questions:

- how to upgrade those packages
- how to reinstall CSSU

I have working backup of all my stuff and I am completely aware of consequences, so if possible I'd like to try everything else before reflashing device.

Thanks,
b.

The Following User Says Thank You to sponka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Which widgets do you have installed? some of them could be the culprit, f.e. Currency Exchange Widget.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You can upgrade those packages by specifically asking to install them e.g.:
Code:
apt-get install libqtm-12
They're usually held back either because they require installing additional package, or because they require uninstalling existing packages. Not necessarily a problem, but it's best to check what it's proposing to do each time before continuing.

I'm not aware of any way of re-installing CSSU (other than by reflashing). You can re-install individual packages, but the CSSU itself is just a meta-package which pulls in specific versions of other packages via dependencies.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Which widgets do you have installed? some of them could be the culprit, f.e. Currency Exchange Widget.
I use: bluezwitch, Calendar Home Widget, Conversations Inbox, OMWeather, Personal Dataplan Monitor, Personal IP Address and recaller.

None of them caused any problems before so I assume my CSSU upgrade was not completely successfull -- as I said, before upgrade had zero problems. Other than hildon-desktop crashes everything still work OK. Have kernel-power49, limits 250-850 and no additional changes, no batery or speed patch, no modified hildon-desktop.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You can upgrade those packages by specifically asking to install them e.g.:
Code:
apt-get install libqtm-12
They're usually held back either because they require installing additional package, or because they require uninstalling existing packages. Not necessarily a problem, but it's best to check what it's proposing to do each time before continuing.

I'm not aware of any way of re-installing CSSU (other than by reflashing). You can re-install individual packages, but the CSSU itself is just a meta-package which pulls in specific versions of other packages via dependencies.
I would uninstall & later reinstall CSSU, but as wiki said this is not recommended, I'd like to avoid that.

Will try to install individual packages, tho.

Thanks,
b.

Manually updated libqtm-11-feedback, libqtm-12, pyside-qt4 and syncevolution (+ whole bunch of other stuff that had dependency). After that espeak update was found and now I don't have any packages left.

Will test if stability is better

Thanks for tips,
b.

Update: it seems manual updates fixed widget's stability problems -- after pretty heavy testing in last few days I had no unexpected reboot or desktop crash since update.

Thanks for help,
b.