Posts: 2 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Rockland
For anyone thats interested:

I ordered a 2366 mini keyboard from an outfit in Hong Kong called pointingmouse, using their "Buy It now" feature on eBay. The price was 2.99 plus 9.99 shipping. Do a search on eBay on 2366 and its easy to find.

I originally ordered this keyboard for a ham radio project but discovered that it also works just fine on my N800 when using the $6 USB adapter that arrived today from "Electronics Products Online Ltd.

Total cost was about $20, which isn't too bad.

I measured the actual form factor: 4 1/8 inches by 8 and 3/4 inches. The shipping took about a week from Hong Kong with no customs issues to Ottawa Ontario area.

Attached is a photo of my setup.

Jim
Rockland, Ontario
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redtaco99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Is that thing useable (I mean, it's 30% less wide than my laptop keyboard)?

Hi Jim

I have the same keyboard... which is probably irrelevant in regards to the following question...

Does your virtual keyboard come back after you unplug the USB keyboard?

Mine doesn't until I reboot the device.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Rockland
Luca, the keyboard works for me but then again, I never learned to touch type.

Skinny, mine behaves the same way. I have to reboot to get the virtual keyboard to kick in again after pulling out the USB keyboard.

Jim

The Following User Says Thank You to redtaco99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by redtaco99 View Post
Luca, the keyboard works for me but then again, I never learned to touch type.
I have one of those flexible rubber keyboards, it's full size but I don't use it that much, since the keys are difficult to press right, besides, it cannot be used keeping it in your hand since it's, well, flexible. Maybe the mini keyboard is better.

Skinny, mine behaves the same way. I have to reboot to get the virtual keyboard to kick in again after pulling out the USB keyboard.
FWIW with my rubber keyboard I get the virtual keyboard back as soon as I unplug it.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Hmmm, I thought the problem would be independent of the type of keyboard, and more to do with the type of adapter. I'm using a non-OTG one and redtaco99 appears to be using an OTG one and experiencing the same problem.

Oh well, I may snap my keyboard in half to see if its new found "flexibility" solves the problem

The Following User Says Thank You to skinny For This Useful Post:
That's one sweet keyboard.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by redtaco99 View Post
My regular USB keyboard (Dell) works the same - I have to power off/on to get the tapboard back after using the USB keyboard.

My (BT) keyboard only acts up after shift+ctrl or some such combination puts up the skinny input method which is designed for the N810. You know, the one with just a completion area. Then I can't get the real input method back up without a reboot. But now I have gconfedit, I may be able to nose around and find a fix, or not... Is that the same trouble you're having?

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
That's exactly the kind of kb I've been looking for. thanks for letting us know about it.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset