Notices

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Just a quick update:

If it seems like I disappeared, it's because my n800 is having hardware problems (reboots on the lightest tap, now... probably a loose solder somewhere) so I've been taking a break until I can get it fixed or replaced. Doing development on a machine that reboots every time you touch it isn't exactly fun (especially when you NEED to touch it, because it's a touchscreen device).

For the mean time, if anyone wants to submit patches, I'm open to reviewing and applying those!

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
rm_you,

Good luck in getting your n800 fixed. I think you applet is one of my favorites, and look forward to future developments.

Thor

I'm not familiar with coding for Maemo, or even Linux, but when I look at the source for this applet, I see several things allocated through functions
Code:
    button = gtk_button_new();
    window = hildon_desktop_popup_window_new(0, GTK_ORIENTATION_VERTICAL, HD_POPUP_WINDOW_DIRECTION_RIGHT_BOTTOM);
    GtkWidget *cbar = hildon_controlbar_new();
    GtkWidget *vbar = hildon_hvolumebar_new();
but I do not see where the resource is freed.

C++ offers auto cleanup, but not C. Is this leaking memory?

I have found something which is either a cosmetic bug or a hallucination on my part:
The advanced backlight applet's image appears to be a bit bigger than the standard backlight applet and thus appears to touch nearby applets (especially if their images are also big and detailed, like the CPU load applet).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by fms View Post
The advanced backlight applet's image appears to be a bit bigger than the standard backlight applet and thus appears to touch nearby applets (especially if their images are also big and detailed, like the CPU load applet).
Well, the volume-side of the applet is just a chopped up rip from the stock Nokia one (nudged over a few pixels, cut in half, with a modified mute strike-through), the backlight half is of my own creation, and should be exactly the same width as the volume half.

But, yes, overall, the icon is wider than the stock ones. No, it does not touch the other applets, no, it is not a bug, and no I'm not exporting another 50-odd images from Photoshop to make it smaller.

Originally Posted by ChodaBoy View Post
I'm not familiar with coding for Maemo, or even Linux, but when I look at the source for this applet, I see several things allocated through functions
Code:
    button = gtk_button_new();
    window = hildon_desktop_popup_window_new(0, GTK_ORIENTATION_VERTICAL, HD_POPUP_WINDOW_DIRECTION_RIGHT_BOTTOM);
    GtkWidget *cbar = hildon_controlbar_new();
    GtkWidget *vbar = hildon_hvolumebar_new();
but I do not see where the resource is freed.

C++ offers auto cleanup, but not C. Is this leaking memory?
This is not a memory leak, as these two things are only allocated once for the applet, and do not need to be explicitly freed because they will continue to be open for the lifetime of the applet (which is, theoretically, 100% of the device's uptime). That said, I will look to see if there *is* an "applet closed" event to free them during, but as I understand it, the app will be completely destroyed/freed when it is unselected/closed.

I don't see the clock next to the icons. There is black space there, but no clock.
I'm running os2008 on n800

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
When did it say anywhere this came with a clock?

You are looking for fiferboy's OS2008 Statusbar Clock.

Oops! I got it now. When I looked at the screenshot in the first post I assumed that the clock is part of the applet.

So, my n800 is working again (for now)! It looks like the onboard flash memory may be semi-broken, but it only seems to become an issue when I get it near 90% full. I guess somewhere towards the end there it has some bad areas. :/

Anyways, with summer break coming up, that means DEVELOPMENT TIME!
GeneralAntilles, be ready to have me bugging you about testing and graphics again.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post: