Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by mike_shenoda View Post
so is this wut we gonna c soon at our n900 ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-q-x...eature=channel
That looks like Moblin 2.x with some MeeGo brand tweaks. Nobody knows today how close that is from the first MeeGo release with the Netboox UX reference. Perhaps the UI will be similar since Intel is obviously leading that front. No idea about the software architecture you don't see in that video since this is still under discussion these days.

The Handset UX reference will suit better to the N900. This is planned to be a different UI on top of a common API.

But I'm sure someone in this forum will demo the Netbook UX running in the N900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
In conclusion: move along, nothing new to see here.
No. It IS new and important information. It means the initial heavy lifting getting the basic MeeGo OS running on the N900 will be done by Intel/Nokia, including some apps at least in a simple form. The community can then take over to produce a fully functional MeeGo for the N900. So much less work to do to get a really usable MeeGo on the N900. Very good news for developers at the least and potentially for end users.

There is also no definite decision yet that there will not be an 'official' fully functioning version of MeeGo for the N900 released. Could happen, still to be determined. My take is the chances are slim, but I don't care much anyway.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Re: the different layers, remember this page:

http://meego.com/developers/meego-architecture

The various UX boxes mean that you could have versions of MeeGo that look very different. IIUC, Harmattan includes a UX developed by Nokia.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
No. It IS new and important information. It means the initial heavy lifting getting the basic MeeGo OS running on the N900 will be done by Intel/Nokia, including some apps at least in a simple form. The community can then take over to produce a fully functional MeeGo for the N900. So much less work to do to get a really usable MeeGo on the N900. Very good news for developers at the least and potentially for end users.

There is also no definite decision yet that there will not be an 'official' fully functioning version of MeeGo for the N900 released. Could happen, still to be determined. My take is the chances are slim, but I don't care much anyway.
Once again: when there is a fully, vendor-supported, user-grade (AKA step 5 of 5) ready for the N900, then it would be great news. Anything else is just blah blah blah.

"Potentially" for end users, means, nothing for end users right now. Without end users, your platform won't have customers. Of course that without developers the platform won't float either, so that is why is important to support both, and why the announcement is so meh from an end user viewpoint.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Once again: when there is a fully, vendor-supported, user-grade (AKA step 5 of 5) ready for the N900, then it would be great news. Anything else is just blah blah blah.
Then what you're saying is 'I don't wanna hear about the development process, don't tell me about progess, just gimme a fully finished MeeGo OS on the N900 or I'll keep complaining 'til you do!'

Well...ok...but just 'cause it's not the news you wanna hear doesn't mean it's not important news.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
No need for that, GTK+ will be officially supported in MeeGo (as opposed to the original Maemo 6 plan). Note that porting Hildon apps may be slightly more complex but not a huge task.
What do you base this on ? The MeeGo arch says GTK+ is *included* for application compatibility, which is not the same as *officially supported*. As a comparison, Fremantle also *includes* Qt but does not yet officially support it (that's coming with PR1.2 and Qt4.6). Maemo 6 was also said to *include* GTK+ support (but not official !), so, unless there is newer info as opposed to the one on meego.com, it's pretty much the same.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Then what you're saying is 'I don't wanna hear about the development process, don't tell me about progess, just gimme a fully finished MeeGo OS on the N900 or I'll keep complaining 'til you do!'

Well...ok...but just 'cause it's not the news you wanna hear doesn't mean it's not important news.
For starters, I am not complaining. I am underlining that as an end-user, there is nothing exciting or important about those news. I can see the importance to developers (it is actually big), but there is a big gap from a development product to a end-user ready one. And a lot of the criticism the N900 and Maemo received come from the end-user point of view.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spoonbuddy View Post
Isn't the next firmware update supposed to fix this potential problem? I was under the impression that some of the applications we use now won't work correctly after the update.
This applies to Maemo 5. Nokia is working to make Maemo 5 more compatible with the future MeeGo, so that it will be easier for developers to make applications that work on Maemo 5 Fremantle, "Maemo 6" Harmattan, and on MeeGo. To do this, QT is getting upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6. Some applications in extras which were written for QT 4.5 will require some small changes to work with 4.6. After the author has checked that they still work with 4.6, the author can submit them to extras again.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Will this meego that will compile on N900 be able to make a phone call on N900?
MeeGo will most likely be using ofono. There is already a N900 driver for ofono, I think jebba had it working in Fedora on his N900. We don't know, however, if MeeGo will have a graphical program for making voice calls on gsm/3g modems.

Besides, the bootstrapped MeeGo that's maybe arriving at the end of the month is really a combination of the current development efforts at Intel and the development efforts at Nokia. They were both working on their next generation operating system.
So, because it's not finished, it probably doesn't do much anything useful at all for an end-user. They're moving to an open development process, which means that at any time anyone can download and see the current progress, and that anyone can also help out and contribute to make it better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
"Potentially" for end users, means, nothing for end users right now.
Basically agree. This is why pure end users would enjoy more their time enjoying their fresh devices with stable software.

Only if you understand Debian Experimental or Ubuntu Alphas you are going to enjoy the MeeGo and Harmattan rides before they reach a beta state (meaning something solid for you to look and even try).

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Basically agree. This is why pure end users would enjoy more their time enjoying their fresh devices with stable software.

Only if you understand Debian Experimental or Ubuntu Alphas you are going to enjoy the MeeGo and Harmattan rides before they reach a beta state (meaning something solid for you to look and even try).
I don't mind tinkering with prototypes (I am here, right? ), however what I feel is that people need to keep in mind the end user perspective (we have plenty of developer perspective in Maemo), which is what I try to provide in my posts. Apologies if I come too harsh at times.