Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Not much further to fall for Nokia

@coderus

Is there a possibility to patch Nokia Maps to us Here account?
Not talking about theoretical, but close to real possibility

The Following User Says Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Sweden
I thought i'd try and get my maps updated to the point that is actually possible. So, i snatched the files linked to in post 12 and decided to have a peak... But, i'm not sure how i'm supposed to use them. Any advices before i screw up, and don't have any working GPS maps at all?
Well, frankly, the maps seam straight forward enough. Copy the maps for the country you want in to the corresponding folder on the phone. Which should be something like:
Europe.zip/SWE/ -> Nokia N9:\cities\diskcache\ClientIndex\SWE\

But what about the rather humongous files (well, phone size relatively speaking) 1-5. What do i do with these? I assume these are the actual maps, considering the size of the files, and the other stuff is just the names and locations of things. Do i just copy "everything" to the phone, and then head in to the maps app, and remove the maps i dont want, and hope it cleans out the unwanted files, and clears up the space again?

Thank you for your time and effort.
B!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr B For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Simply download the maps directly with the app. For language actualize these in drive. It still works as described

The Following User Says Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
No it doesn't. It states that i need a WiFi connection for downloading the maps, which i can confirm, it has. So im guessing it's not reaching the server where the maps are supposed to be?
But if the service supposedly still is there, then the problem might be something else... Ideas?
B!

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
So in maps configuration activate online. It still works

The Following User Says Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Well, frankly, the maps seam straight forward enough. Copy the maps for the country you want in to the corresponding folder on the phone. Which should be something like:
Europe.zip/SWE/ -> Nokia N9:\cities\diskcache\ClientIndex\SWE\

Do i just copy "everything" to the phone, and then head in to the maps app, and remove the maps i don't want
Whilst ClientIndex may make logical sense, when you decompress the country/region .zip file there are (16) folders 0 - 9 and a - f with similar subfolders to be overwritten.

Please be aware that manually installing maps has the disadvantage that you will not get a listing of maps installed upon device, although they are present and functional

The Following User Says Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
So in maps configuration activate online. It still works
Again. No, it doesn't. At least not here. It keeps telling me i need to be connected over WiFi, which, since i AM, i took to mean it couldn't reach the server. If this isn't the issue, that means i got a different problem, which i might need help looking in to, but i have no idea even where to start...

Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Whilst ClientIndex may make logical sense, when you decompress the country/region .zip file there are (16) folders 0 - 9 and a - f with similar subfolders to be overwritten.
Ooookay. I'm sorry, but you need to dumb it down a lot more for me to have any chance at understanding. There are 5 files (zip's) with 0-f, all of different sizes. All together these contain 13GB or so of files. How do i know which i need, and which i don't need, for a given set of maps? Currently i've got , sweden, denmark, finland and germany installed, i could very well live with "Europe", but 13GB seams like quite a bit more then the maps should need, so to speak.

Please be aware that manually installing maps has the disadvantage that you will not get a listing of maps installed upon device, although they are present and functional
This actually wouldn't be much of an issue. It's weird that it keeps claiming that i have to connect to a WiFi to be allowed to download the maps, and i guess that could be the "proper" way to fix this, (map update) if the maps are still available, but currently i have no idea how. I intend to take the next weekend to make a full backup, export it, reload the phone, and add the backup back in, and see what it does, but god knows what else it breaks.
B!

Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
How do i know which i need, and which i don't need, for a given set of maps? Currently i've got , sweden, denmark, finland and germany installed, i could very well live with "Europe
Can I turn this around and ask which European countries do you actually need as can break down the continent into individual countries? Whole of Europe gives you over a GB of data just for Russia. Incidentally even upon N9 64GB I have found it borderline to install entire "World Maps" and run the application even if you wanted too.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Can I turn this around and ask which European countries do you actually need as can break down the continent into individual countries?
Could live with, Europe.
Bare minimum, or rather, preferred, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, and Norway.
Checking the phone shows i got Norway, i just forgot it in the list above.
B!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr B For This Useful Post: