Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
The Good (from things I've asked for):
  • It's a PHONE, with voice and SMS!
  • It's a T-Mobile 3G phone (it's a PHONE!!! that runs MAEMO!!!!)
  • A NIT with a respectable photo camera!!!
  • Base memory of 32GB!!!
  • Did I mention Nokia Maemo Phone!!?!?!

The Bad:
  • 4.3"x2.4" device!? with a 3.5" screen? Didn't all of the maemo phone advocates all say they didn't want to shrink the size? What's Nokia smoking here?
  • 3 row keyboard ... bleh. We wanted MORE keys, not less. 5 rows... not 4, not 3. 4 row keyboards are bad enough, but 3 row keyboards are ATROCIOUS. Full qwerty, with dedicated number keys. Nothing less.
  • They have two great designs right now (the N97 and today's leak of the Mako), but this one looks VERY plain, and downright disappointing. Why couldn't they have gone with a design like the N97 or Mako? ... and especially with a tilt screen like the N97.

So much to be excited about ... so much to be disappointed about.

I really would have preferred to see a giant (meaning "N810 size") N97 or Mako, with 5 row keyboard. The Mako, with a 4.1" tilt screen, 5 row keyboard, retaining its dpad and button cluster on the face, and running Maemo ... THAT would have been a SEXY beast. Though, really, even just the Mako and/or N97, the size they are, with Maemo, would look MUCH nicer than this thing. This thing just looks SO plain.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Will there ALSO be a 4.1" screen tablet (with or without phone functionality)? What about the rumors of a Maemo netbook? Will there be AT&T versions of these devices as well?

(for those who didn't see the Mako, it was on Engadget and Engadget Mobile)

Will I buy it? There's a good chance I will, because I don't want to see a Maemo phone fail. I want this to be the first of several Maemo phones from Nokia. But, given what other things Nokia is releasing right now, I think they could have done better with their first Maemo phone. A LOT better than what we see in that rendering (it's a rendering, right?). If I do buy it, I will likely still harp for something much better.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It's fairly certain that they do. The RX-51 was always referred to as the "lead device" and recent Fremantle kernels include configs for an RX-71 model. Except I thought RX-51 was the tablet and RX-71 the phone...
And what's the number of the rumored Maemo netbook?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by fms View Post
So, have you received your Pandora already?
Nope

It's going to be a *usable* *computer*, though, and it seems I'll have it in my hands much before that... thing... (eeek!). is available in Europe.

"This thing is way too late in shipping to customers, but when it is done, it will be a solid little product you will have fun with over the balance of your summer." [see here]

EDIT: but I understand that speaking Pandora here is a thread crapping, and it's my fault. So please accept my excuses

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-05-25 at 09:20.

Seeing these specs I am glad I picked up a N810 when it was 150$ on the Nokia website :-) I had buyers remorse and thought I should have waited for the N900 but this screen size does not appeal to me. I read a lot on the N810 and I would rather like to see a larger screen (isn't Apple going for a 7" in its internet tablet?).
The phone functionality is a definite bonus though, and maybe this will bring Maemo to the mainstream iphone/G1/PRE customers.

Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
That is essentially a 4x increase in ram in a device with 30-40 percent more processing power.
No. It is a 2x increase in RAM, easily eaten by Clutter, QT, and other assorted stuff found in Fremantle. Amount of memory swapped to disk does not count here.

(I now have to admit that I've just seen a 4 row qwerty keyboard I can respect: it's on the HTC Fortress, for AT&T -- it still has a dedicated number area though, off to the right side of the qwerty keys, sort of like a full desktop keyboard, only thumb size; there's a picture on Engadget.)

Well I'm every hopeful this isn't the replacement tablet - 3.5" screen is not what I want at all, I was hoping for something larger than the existing 4.3" screen.

Fine for a phone though, assuming it has voice.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qole View Post
now opponents of this project within Nokia are going to say, 'Told you so, this open development stuff is too insecure!'
I do share your general concern, but if the "leaked" info is real I don't necessarily think that it has anything to do with open development.
mobilcrunch.com indirectly states that their source seems to be located in Helsinki so such things could also happen with completely closed development.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
??? N900 versus N800 ??? STILL GOT LOTSA FLAWS ??? WSOD Screen Error ???

Any1 know how to fix WSOD (white lines on black screen defect due memory corrupt)?

I used to connect my iMac to N800, was never anything. Until recently I installed SyncTunes on my Mac OS X Tiger to sync iTunes to N800, instead my N800 got into such troubles!!!
SyncTunes accessed my both SD cards in N800. But the song title in Japanese, Korean, Thai and Chinese are in a "mess" cant be read!
How to solve such problem? Installing Fonts? iKeyboard?

Any better syncing software other than SyncTunes.
Nokia MultiMedia Transfer couldnot work for N800, only Symbian platform?

Many thanks for help! GBU any1 !

The Following User Says Thank You to TokoUnion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
This is obviously not the N810 replacement (or I'm in denial), the specs on that read like a smartphone.

One of the things that bother me is texrat's comments. He seems reliable and from what he has contributed, I'm not very pleased at all.

What also bothers me is that a lot of people have said that they do not want a reduction in screen size and we have representatives here that have spoken at various events with Nokia reps. So...

I'm depressed.

Last edited by dbec10; 2009-05-25 at 11:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbec10 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile