Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
BTW, if you can wait you could consider this: http://www.huaweidevice.com/resource...FcgCHAods3krMw
I'd recommend waiting for a bit after the MediaPad is out before I'd consider it. I have a S7 (7" tablet made by Huawei) that I got from BestBuy for $250 on sale.

1) Huawei has essentially no support for customers.
2) Huawei released a 2.2 upgrade in Singapore (and a couple other countries now) but has yet to release an official upgrade for the US.
3) The S7 has some issues with accelerator axis being messed up, causing some apps to not work correctly. No information on a fix available.
4) There aren't any accessories available (despite being demo'd with a docking station w/ tv out).
5) The Slim (s7 successor) can be found at BestBuy for $299. It also has some issues (non-working hdmi, market issues).

All in all, the S7 is solidly built, heavy, has some quirks, but I like it. However, I'd take a wait and see approach with Huawei, see if there are any quirks with the MediaPad, and if they do better with support and accessories.

The slim (@ bestbuy) is 1Ghz, single core, 512mb memory, capacitive screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I'd recommend waiting for a bit after the MediaPad is out before I'd consider it. I have a S7 (7" tablet made by Huawei) that I got from BestBuy for $250 on sale.

1) Huawei has essentially no support for customers.
2) Huawei released a 2.2 upgrade in Singapore (and a couple other countries now) but has yet to release an official upgrade for the US.
3) The S7 has some issues with accelerator axis being messed up, causing some apps to not work correctly. No information on a fix available.
4) There aren't any accessories available (despite being demo'd with a docking station w/ tv out).
5) The Slim (s7 successor) can be found at BestBuy for $299. It also has some issues (non-working hdmi, market issues).

All in all, the S7 is solidly built, heavy, has some quirks, but I like it. However, I'd take a wait and see approach with Huawei, see if there are any quirks with the MediaPad, and if they do better with support and accessories.

The slim (@ bestbuy) is 1Ghz, single core, 512mb memory, capacitive screen.
Then Huawei is really a crappy company. Thank you very much for the information.

@bun

The choice comes down to what you need and what you expect to get, then price.

Remember "tablets" are a new product category and still in its infancy. So far, they are aimed at becoming netbook replacements; usually maximizing content consumption but some have content creation ability. After some searching, here are the tablets worth considering:

$99 Web Special - ZTE V9 (7" WVGA resistive touch, 3,400mAh, HTC Legend CPU, Telephone+3G)
$165 - The Superpad2 (the current craplet king)
$200 - Nook Colour (lots of love at xda)
$300 - Original 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab (bang for buck)
$300 - Advent Vega/Viewsonic G-tablet (was my favourite)
$400 - Malata Zpad/Woow! The One (predates iPad2)
$400 - ASUS Transformer (now favourite) + $150 LaptopDock
$490 - New Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (brilliant)
$500 - New Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (great)
$500 - RIM Playbook (many strengths and many disadvantages)
$500 - Apple iPad (needs no introduction)
$600 - iPad 2 (double the capability of the original)
$650 - Exo-PC (mediocre tablet, but has good touch-software)
$800 - HP Slate 500 (best x86 with 2 major flaws= small battery and no touch software)

Read the last entry of this blog for a good analogy of your situation
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=971432

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-07-25 at 07:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I like the viewsonic 7 spec very much, everything is to my likeness except 600 MHz cpu. That is where I am hesitating.

What I want to do with my craplet (I like the term ) ?

Watching TV and shoot it to my home theatre projector system., some navigation, and very little surfing and almost NO TALK. I am not a talking guy I smile a lot, especially when I meet a pretty girl or run out things to say.

I may just wait for the motarola triumph, http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/06...video-roundup/

and here

bun

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
What about a nook color? Cyanogen supports it and we 've seen running meego on it. Also, it is very cheap.

Take a look on Xda-developers forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anapospastos View Post
What about a nook color? Cyanogen supports it and we 've seen running meego on it. Also, it is very cheap.

Take a look on Xda-developers forum.
I saw it too and it is advertised for $199. I dont know too much about it though. They said you can surf the web but no cellphone subscription required ?! I think they meant wifi?

So is the color Nook an android tablet? TIA,

bun

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
@bun

The choice comes down to what you need and what you expect to get, then price.

Remember "tablets" are a new product category and still in its infancy. So far, they are aimed at becoming netbook replacements; usually maximizing content consumption but some have content creation ability. After some searching, here are the tablets worth considering:

$180 - The Superpad2 (the current craplet king)
$250 - Nook Colour (lots of love at xda)
$300 - Original 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab (bang for buck)
$350 - Advent Vega/Viewsonic G-tablet (was my favourite)
$400 - ASUS Transformer (now favourite) + $150 dock
$450 - Malata Zpad/Woow! The One (predates iPad2)
$500 - New Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (brilliant) / 10.1 (great)
$500 - RIM Playbook (many strengths and many disadvantages)
$500 - Apple iPad (needs no introduction)
$600 - iPad 2 (double the capability of the original)
$700 - Exo-PC (mediocre tablet, but has good touch-software)
$800 - HP Slate 500 (best x86 with 2 major flaws= small battery and no touch software)

Read the last entry of this blog for a good analogy of your situation
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=971432
Nice

Nice list, but the $ are way out dated I guess if you are not in the market it is difficult to keep track. Color Nook $199, Viewsonic gtablet $279. Viewsonic 7 (galaxy tab equivalent, I dont know) $289.

A little side note, if the $ is falling, like viewsonic 7 dropped from $599 to $289 while ideotphone keeps its listing price, does that tell you about the shortcoming of the device or just a marketting ploy? Just a thought.

Again, nice list for the one looking,

bun

It has similar hardware to N900, A8 cortex but 1ghz (overlocked up to 1,3 stable, 1,6 unstable), 512mb ram, 8gb internal memory (6 real), 4 amper battery and micro sdhc support. It is advertised as an e-reader from B&N and coming with a tweaked froyo version.

I didn't catch what you mean about cellphone subscription.

Originally Posted by anapospastos View Post
It has similar hardware to N900, A8 cortex but 1ghz (overlocked up to 1,3 stable, 1,6 unstable), 512mb ram, 8gb internal memory (6 real), 4 amper battery and micro sdhc support. It is advertised as an e-reader from B&N and coming with a tweaked froyo version.

I didn't catch what you mean about cellphone subscription.
Thanks. Reading your description is 100 X faster than reading those useless endgadget release.

I am referring to the advertisement "... FREE web surfing with the new color Nook ... " How do you do web surfing without cellular connect? I think they must refer to wifi connection.

bun

Yeah probably the mean wifi. I ordered a new nook and expecting it this week. Here I got some advantages and disadvantages.

+It is fast, watch on youtube some videos with last cyanogen nightlies
+Nice 7" ips screen (same with ipad)
+Unbrickable, you can always return to stock firmware
+Usb on the go
+Meego was running pretty well on that video
+You can pair a gps if you want via bluetooth (short range though) - columbus on maemo supports that function

-It doesn't have cameras if you re interested for them
-No compass (probably useless for a tablet)
-No built-in microphone

Tags
tablet 3g gps