Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Heyya, you quoted me out of context there. The point is it's not like your device is going to insta-brick itself the moment Maemo 6 appears (at which point you're not talking about compatibility but buyer's remorse). In fact, ever since the Summit we know Qt 4.6 is officially supported on Maemo 5/N900 and that gives a clear backporting path for applications. I still very much enjoy using my Diablo (warts and all) N810 for ebook reading, videos and it doubles as a Skype phone and runs my PyQt trinkets.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Even if the future device has multi touch it doesn't rule out the n900. They could still have the double tap to zoom implemented and the volume control zoom implemented.
I would be very disappointing if it doesn't come to the n900.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Wait, I don't really get this, will they merge Symbian and Maemo? Or will they rule out Symbian in favor for Maemo? Or what do they mean? I'm confused

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Wait, I don't really get this, will they merge Symbian and Maemo? Or will they rule out Symbian in favor for Maemo? Or what do they mean? I'm confused
Supposedly, they're going to maintain both platforms, in parallel. Speculation has been that eventually, s40 will go away and s60 will take it's place, with Maemo becoming the OS of choice for their high end offerings, but I don't know that any of those speculations have been substantiated.