Closed Thread
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I think what you have done so far Estel is awesome in itself. DIY build of a CNC miller - Wow! I trained on them back in the 80s (never touched one since though).

Would be extremely interested in a post (off topic, natch) of the machine project.

Also very interested in what you are proposing for the N900. A replacement back cover with an improved kickstand would be really great. A full alu reshell would be gorgeous, but I fear it would be out of my price range, though.

Have you considered developing a case for the Raspberry Pi as well - I think there may be a market there!
I just got confirmation email, from Farnell, that my Raspberry Pi will be delivered end of june, first thing what I want do with it is design/make a case

Estel
: I wish you luck with your project, as you were saing, you dont have a touch probe to digitize N900. For me this is unimaginable, because all of the small(function) surfaces n900 case have.

/sorry for my english, just woke up /

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaDless For This Useful Post:
Name:  N900-special-Edition-LARGE.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  18.5 KB

Name:  N900-special-Edition-LARGE-2.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  13.9 KB

Name:  N900-special-Edition-KickStand.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  N900-special-Edition.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  16.1 KB

Pre-Pre-Pre Sample Design for New N900 including Kick-stand , backcover sample Text & four dot's

C h e e r ' s

Edit - @Estel : took me three hrs just to design it in 3ds Max.. i wonder how much time it would take to make it in real..
@ArchiMark - "yes, you explained it correctly"

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-04-29 at 10:10.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
im in ! The fat cover, please.
Thanks Estel.

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
Attachment 26047

Attachment 26048

Attachment 26049

Attachment 26050

Pre-Pre-Pre Sample Design for New N900 including Kick-stand , backcover sample Text & four dot's

C h e e r ' s
Excellent mockup....I'll take 2!....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following User Says Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Have you considered developing a case for the Raspberry Pi as well - I think there may be a market there!
Yea, I thought about that one too - waiting for my Raspberry Pi to arrive, as I like to have "real thing" to design on (there are schematics for RPi including dimensions, but it's not the same thing as holding one in hand).

Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
Can you get around the stylus slot with your machine? And to make it complete, would it be possible to include a screen bezel aswell with MAEMO instead of N***A etched on it?
In full body replacement, there will be a place for stylus surely. As for screen bezel, maybe in future, but for now I don't plan to touch screen part at all (whole slided out screen part remain original, as it's made of metal already, and replacing parts around screen are much less trivial, both for me as design part, and for end users during replacement).

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Once we receive this thing, how much expertise will it take to actually install it? If much, I suggest you add on an optional installation fee for those who don't want to mess with it, we send our device(s) to you or someone you appoint, who does the installation and sends it back.
Not much harder than disassembling and assembling N900 now, of course only mainframe parts. From my experience, it's one of easiest devices to open&close - hardest part is putting screen tape on place again, due to limited space (but still doable, even for beginners).

Of course, possibility of sending device to me, assembling and re-sending back will be there - probably for free or for very small amount of money (5$ or so), but I don't expect much interest in that - shipping prices to me and back would be overkill, probably, for most people, and assembling personally isn't really that hard.

Of course, all of this apply to full body replacement - (BTW, I would like to remind again, that it's going to arrive some time (up to few months) after backcover(s) - I want to start with something less complicated) backcover should be as trivial to install, as default/mugen one is now.

@immi.shk
thanks for mockups Yet, I must confess, that it's going to look slightly different, not only about colors No chances for 4 "micro-legs", as it would require milling out all surface *deeper* than they are - huge material and time waste - but it should be pleasant to touch due to sanded surface, and good to stay thanks to kick-stand leg.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Definitely interested. As of now, more interested in the single battery (standard) cover but I could be persuaded to go dual scud.

Originally Posted by guylhem View Post
Interested in a large version for dual battery. If it could also feature the 2.5mm charging connector to spare the USB port would be totally awesome.

If you can't have the nice springs to connect to the test pads, I'd be fine with wires that can be soldered. In fact, it could be even better- easier for you and easier for the modders.

BTW, another idea: what about recessed conducting pads, like on dect phones cradles?
At the risk of adding to creeping-featuritis, would that idea be a goer to incorporate a Powermat receiver?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Not for a few first versions, definitely
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Just to clear things up for me... Estel, are you talking about making a protective case for the N900, like in the mockups above, or are you talking about a replacement for the N900's standard body, i.e. the plastic frame between display and backcover?

Replacement body (as 2nd project) and backcover replacement (as first thing to appear).

BTW, I think that on the mockups above, it's also replacement body - despite, that it's looking a little like "tank" Also, be aware, that those are *not* my mockups.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel