Notices

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
It definitely has some rough edges (caused my 770 to reboot when I tried stopping a recording from playing before it actually started playing) but it does work.

Check your Garage repo for it.

Gives you three formats to save as:
iLBC (typically a codec used in VoIP)
PCM A-law (aka au)
WAV (the format everyone knows and hates aka RAW)

For three identical (as far as my voice is consistent) 10 second recordings:
iLBC is the smallest with at 28 kB
PCM was about 4x iLBC
WAV was about 8x iLBC.

PCM was the clearest sounding.
iLBC was second best with good background attenuation but generally softer recording volume.
WAV had some clicking recording artefacts but did play with the normal audio player. Ther others played with the recorder only.

... and I would like to reiterate how I *hate* the way the 770 hides the file extensions and won't let you edit known types. I turn that off in windows the first chance I get. If anyone knows a hack to do so on the 770, please let me know.

Last edited by mwiktowy; 2006-08-23 at 21:22.

wow, thanks. I'll try it out. Yes, I agree with you about file extensions. I got burned by that too.

The Following User Says Thank You to idiotprogrammer For This Useful Post:
Just to be clear ... I had no hand in its creation. I am just excited about the usefulness of turning my 770 into a voice recorder and didn't see any discussion of this app on ITT.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
Nifty. Just wish the buttons were thumbboard sized and the default save directory is the Audio Clips folder. It's a good start though.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
It definitely has some rough edges (caused my 770 to reboot when I tried stopping a recording from playing before it actually started playing) but it does work.

Check your Garage repo for it.

Gives you three formats to save as:
iLBC (typically a codec used in VoIP)
PCM A-law (aka au)
WAV (the format everyone knows and hates aka RAW)

For three identical (as far as my voice is consistent) 10 second recordings:
iLBC is the smallest with at 28 kB
PCM was about 4x iLBC
WAV was about 8x iLBC.

PCM was the clearest sounding.
iLBC was second best with good background attenuation but generally softer recording volume.
WAV had some clicking recording artefacts but did play with the normal audio player. Ther others played with the recorder only.

... and I would like to reiterate how I *hate* the way the 770 hides the file extensions and won't let you edit known types. I turn that off in windows the first chance I get. If anyone knows a hack to do so on the 770, please let me know.
Is there some version of this software for N900?

According to this site:
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...00_nokia_rover
the microphone is only mono - is that true?

Thanks in advance.

I installed it but don't see it...I see recorder but that is not the same thing right?

Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Is there some version of this software for N900?
There is Recorder ... but I don't think that it has the format output options ... only WAV.

There is also a nice app called Recaller that works a bit differently in that it is for recording phone calls. But it can work as a quick and simple voice recorder when you are not on the phone by using the desktop applet. It also has a few format options like AAC, FLAC and WAV.

Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
According to this site:
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...00_nokia_rover
the microphone is only mono - is that true?

Thanks in advance.
Only one microphone ... but isn't that true of most phones/dictaphones?

I have found the microphone on the n900 to be very good with good clarity and noise cancellation.

while we are here...is there a recorder that wil let you specify a custom folder for saving/playback so my lame guitar ideas are not mingled with real music?

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
while we are here...is there a recorder that wil let you specify a custom folder for saving/playback so my lame guitar ideas are not mingled with real music?
Well, you can quickly change the settings in recaller so that it records into a specified folder. Just a few taps.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Does this have a dbus-interface?
So for example, from FM-radio-application one could start recording the radio-show by dbus-call? (I've asked before recaller to have this dbus-interface also.)