the sync with the phone and enterprise features are gonna be the killer apps here, so long as it has a good word/excel/pdf/ppt viewer.. it'll fly off shelves like no body's business.. kinda makes the oddly underspeced bb torch seem a little more relevent, since most of the hard working would be done on the tablet. this is more of a game changer than apples attempts

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
The PlayBook is looking great... the Galaxy Tab has got some serious competition! Many similarities spec-wise; similar form factor. Exciting times!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Blackberry Better do something or they will become extinct like Nokia. Their phones suck overall.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So THAT'S what Blackberry will do with their prior QNX purchase. With the QNX microkernel, that's enough geekery to have my attention.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Perth, Australia
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
the sync with the phone and enterprise features are gonna be the killer apps here, so long as it has a good word/excel/pdf/ppt viewer.. it'll fly off shelves like no body's business.. kinda makes the oddly underspeced bb torch seem a little more relevent, since most of the hard working would be done on the tablet. this is more of a game changer than apples attempts
A bit like what Palm tried to do with the Foleo, but better. And being based on QNX, I think RIM might finally be on a winner. Hopefully they have enough sense to eventually roll out their QNX-based OS to their phones as well.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by lavo View Post
A bit like what Palm tried to do with the Foleo, but better. And being based on QNX, I think RIM might finally be on a winner. Hopefully they have enough sense to eventually roll out their QNX-based OS to their phones as well.
Yep, i was having reruns of the foleo news at the back of my mind when reading the news. Still, palm had the issue of being a palmos+windows mobile shop, and the foleo would add linux into the mix. And i think at least microsoft was somewhat reluctant in making palm able to hook winmob up to foleo for mail management.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yet another tablet with capacitive screen..

So..... is it a reasonable assumption that this 'tablet revolution' (the pocketable ones and also the bigger slates) has been powered by the capacitive screen?

They took off after the multitouch OSK and smoother UI/UX made possible by capacitive displays.

Obviously it's not the sole reason, but it's a significant factor.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
The PlayBook is looking great... the Galaxy Tab has got some serious competition! Many similarities spec-wise; similar form factor. Exciting times!
Actually it seems as though the Black Pad blows the Tab out of the water when looking at the specs alone! The form factor is thinner, the cameras have a higher resolution, the processor/gpu should be far faster (tegra?) and it has double the RAM! Of course there are other points of comparison as well, but the hardware looks really solid!

I'd be interested in seeing some reviews when it gets released!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
It looks pretty impressive, but the name sucks. "PlayBook"? What is this, kindergarten?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I want to get excited but just cant. Based entirely on my experience with the blackberry "experience" on their devices. The apple cant fall far from the tree right? I fear it will be unintuitive, and just no fun. Remember the RIM's first touch screen device?

Hardware is very good though. 7 inch is also a very good size. I still cant defend my reasoning for buying a tablet. I usually buy laptops sized at 12" so the tablet wont really save me a lot of space but it can come in handy. Probably most whilst travelling or just on the move where you want to enjoy media without fidgeting with a 3.7 inch screen on a phone.

Last edited by afaq; 2010-09-28 at 11:04.