Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@jcompagner
I have read somewhere that modest will be a newer version with many improvements. Will have to wait and see ourselves.
Anyway lack of IMAP-idle is ridiculous. Pushing "Nokia Messaging" forcefully that way is unfair I think.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@jcompagner
I have read somewhere that modest will be a newer version with many improvements. Will have to wait and see ourselves.
Anyway lack of IMAP-idle is ridiculous. Pushing "Nokia Messaging" forcefully that way is unfair I think.
Lack of IMAP-idle is actually an issue with tinymail, not modest. There's been some talk about it in bugzilla, but it sounds to be quite a bit of work to add properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
a quick noob question,

why CANT we assume that we will in fact get all these 1.2 SDK revisions when the actual 1.2 firmware is released?

It seems like all the work is done already, right?

Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
thats one fix that is needed yes.
But if i have to say what is the most lacking software piece on the N900 it is modest.
Yes i find it if more horrible then Ovi Maps.

IMAP support is really bad. No imap-idle (which is for a always on-line mobile device a must ), no sent folder support, it downloads way to much for example i tried it when i was in another country, the kilobytes where flying over the wire for almost nothing new..
Also UI wise i can go on and on... Its just one of the weaker parts of the N900..
I agree. That and threaded view for email. I am forced to use the web browser for gmail because I need threaded view.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wellington, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Ignacius View Post
I understand this could be a desirable feature, but I hardly know of many smartphones which support even video calling.
Every phone I have had, has had 3G video calling...and before my N97 the last 2 were basic dumb phones, still with said capability

You have categorize app which should provide this feature.
Not the same thing...I want to make my own folders, with my own titles and as many as I want...not dictated by the app.

You have Mfe for syncing online
Why not Ovi like all the Symbian phones...I want to sync my contacts and calender etc

You have newly released Sygic app for this. Also, I understand it should be included as on any other Nokia phone.
But thats a paid app...Ovi maps is free, and this is one of Nokia's flagship phones...and ALL Nokia's are supposed to have free voice guided maps

You have fMMS
True...but I would rather have a native version provided by Nokia, built into the Conversations app

I have read many times in these forums that MMS is not going to be coded/provided for the N900, but none the less, it is still a basic function/feature that should be there.

Why not? I can put any video on any folder I want with the file browser
Of course you can make folders in the file browser, and place your videos within, but what I was meaning is there is no ability to display those folders within the Media Player app itself...it just shows all your videos...the only choices you have is to view them by Date or Category.

Exactly as Sachin007 said, 'although there are alternatives as you have indicated we have to admit that nokia has to provide the basic features mentioned'...and this is true.

Just because 3rd party devs can fill the gaps, does not mean Nokia should not bother otherwise to code and provide basic functionality that should be there, especially given the price and status of the phone/tablet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to euanandrews For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wellington, New Zealand
And how about STK (Sim Toolkit) for that matter...a basic yet essential feature that is still missing from the N900

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by euanandrews View Post
Every phone I have had, has had 3G video calling...and before my N97 the last 2 were basic dumb phones, still with said capability

Not the same thing...I want to make my own folders, with my own titles and as many as I want...not dictated by the app.

Why not Ovi like all the Symbian phones...I want to sync my contacts and calender etc

But thats a paid app...Ovi maps is free, and this is one of Nokia's flagship phones...and ALL Nokia's are supposed to have free voice guided maps

True...but I would rather have a native version provided by Nokia, built into the Conversations app

I have read many times in these forums that MMS is not going to be coded/provided for the N900, but none the less, it is still a basic function/feature that should be there.

Of course you can make folders in the file browser, and place your videos within, but what I was meaning is there is no ability to display those folders within the Media Player app itself...it just shows all your videos...the only choices you have is to view them by Date or Category.

Exactly as Sachin007 said, 'although there are alternatives as you have indicated we have to admit that nokia has to provide the basic features mentioned'...and this is true.

Just because 3rd party devs can fill the gaps, does not mean Nokia should not bother otherwise to code and provide basic functionality that should be there, especially given the price and status of the phone/tablet.
Please take complaints about "missing features" and "flagship" and all the usual to one of the plethora of complaint threads. This is about the SDK and its changes NOT about you having different expectations than the reality of the N900's featureset.
This is the exact sort of rubbish that irks me and I would say quite a few people. Can we have a thread that does not devolve in to someone complaining that they thought the N900 would have features that were never mentioned to be in it?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by euanandrews View Post
Where on earth did you get that from? Nokia's announcement was that all new phone models released from whatever date it was (I can't be bothered to check) would have free voice guided maps. There was no mention whatsoever about them being available on all existing models.

Last edited by Rob1n; 2010-03-25 at 16:56. Reason: Fix quoting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Althoug there are alternatives as you have indicated we have to admit that nokia has to provide the basic features mentioned.
No ovi suite compatibility
No dedicated ovi store
No free navigation for the most expensive flagship device
No mms
The phone "app" is not as customisable as symbian

Even though the n900 has many more features when compared to others we still are missing some basic functionality.
Omfg the N900 is NOT NOKIA'S flagship device!!!!! And certiainly not the most expensive, but I sure hope they would add the new free T-T Ovi Maps..

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Omfg the N900 is NOT NOKIA'S flagship device!!!!! And certiainly not the most expensive, but I sure hope they would add the new free T-T Ovi Maps..
when can we download the new pr1.2 for n900?? its depressing me the wait

Tags
delete orangedouche again, delete post #205, delete post #225, maemo 5 sdk, pr 1.2, pr1.2