Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
N900 Wallpapers site is up fyi, http://www.n900wallpapers.com - Themes version to follow in the next week or so.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
N900 Wallpapers site is up fyi, http://www.n900wallpapers.com - Themes version to follow in the next week or so.
It looks good and in the end it will be useful to the community...

...speaking of which. Do you have a link back and or banner for maemo.org on the site?
Maybe a "Proud Member" blurb or something.

That^ might smooth some feathers here provided the site is not overly ad laden or requires a member registration. (imho)

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by endorphinum View Post
THAT's exactly what i have been talking about!
As a teacher at a private design academy there is one thing that i
can confirm to you without a doubt: 1 out of 10 designers might be
so curious and have the fun, the time and be so patient to try to get something into the extras repository.
The rest simply will give up as soon as they have to learn
anything about packaging.

Most of the designers i work with ofen enough even do not know how
to name filenames correctly (using special chars, spaces etc.) and
now you want them to get into repository handling ?!
Good luck!
Short answer is yes

Long answer is yes I do think they should learn to put there package in the repo. It isn't that hard. I have a script that is easy to change that will build your source deb for you then you use the web uploader to upload the source thats it. Most of the users of the themes will get them from the repo so if you want people to use them they need to be there.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I wonder if it's possible to do more lifting on the server side. Maybe have a wallpaper upload area that just accepts 4 images, validates them in some way (are you 800x480? are there 4 of you? are the filenames valid/sane?) and then builds a source deb and submits it to the autobuilder. and I believe theme-maker *already* builds a .deb out of a them template. If designers have problems with the process, maybe it could be improved then, but I really like the idea of having a cetralized repository for all things maemo. We've already been in the multiple repos situation, and it was extraordinarily bad (though admittedly, theme scattered all around the net is less of a problem then software/libs scattered all over).
Just my 2c.

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Since some of you think that designer should be able to make packages and scripts and stuff, I suppose it will sound fair to you that all programmers should be able to draw cool UI's and icons in PS, it's not that hard, eh, programmers are just too lazy and not curious, according to you.
But the fact is, that both designers and programmers have lots of stuff to do in their fields, it's much faster, better and stronger if people do what they are supposed to do.
I'm really surprised that I hear that silly thought from a teacher in private design academy.
P.S.: and we have Theme Maker anyway :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Arn't themes inside the Extra's repository?

I'm not opposed to any extra sites dedicated to the Maemo cause if they are well maintained

Theme maker doesn't make source packages I think you might be able to upload them as non-free packages. I just tear apart my deb an rebuild it as a source package. Just so everyone knows also I'm not a programmer I'm just a theme designer for the first year I did themes I couldn't package them my self, I know have a simple script I use to build my source debs on the tablet then upload to extras using web site. The amount of time it takes to design an make a theme is much greater then the time it takes to build the proper package.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Last edited by andrewfblack; 2009-10-05 at 02:05.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So I'm thinking at the moment that it may not be worth me making an n900themes version of the site - it's simply far less demand than for wallpapers and the infrastructure is already set up here. However, is there a way i can filter the downloads section there just for themes? I'd like to be able to point n900themes.com directly at maemo.org.

How does that sound to everyone?

Originally Posted by code177 View Post
So I'm thinking at the moment that it may not be worth me making an n900themes version of the site - it's simply far less demand than for wallpapers and the infrastructure is already set up here. However, is there a way i can filter the downloads section there just for themes? I'd like to be able to point n900themes.com directly at maemo.org.

How does that sound to everyone?
I was thinking the same thing. Apparently the themes are mixed up with all the rest.. If the theme maker application and N900 get popular, I really hope they create a "Themes" category or it will really be a mess...
Searching for the "theme" keyword returned naturally all themes, but every theme submitter has to add the "theme" word in the title, no normal application must contain that word, and browsing in the category without searching may become really confusing.

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
there is a theme cat they called desktop environment but other people have added things that are not themes to the that cat.

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, n900, themes, wallpapers