Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
Brilliant idea with dual-sound quick snap functionality.
dunno whether to use the camera snap twice, or perhaps some other builtin sound file. opinion?

Might I ask why all the hate for almost every inbuilt function the N9 has?
if you mean the default button actions in apps, its because you have to a have a sixth sense to know what the hell your buttons are going to do at any given time. i like consistency in my ux.

Is there any chance you could add GPS position as another condition group?
n9bm runs 100% of the time, so it must be extremely low power. i dont want to risk accidentally killing someones battery to add features like this. i do not want to add features that cause radios to run more often, including bt, wifi, or gps.

however, i should probably make a shell-command-condition that lets folks do whatever they want. {for example, all you would do is write a script called gps-is-home that exits with 0 if you are home and 1 otherwise.}

testing ATM, GUI really is dog's balls. Any way we could help with it?
in my opinion, the best gui for this app would be a nice text editor that opens the config file. the config is straighforward, and reloading is automatic. in fact, the gui literally just modifies the config file and exits.

i maintain the gui only because a LOT of folks are really averse to opening up a text editor. i certainly will never use it, and wouldnt ask anyone else to.

the only extra feature i would like a gui to have is to check the syntax and make sure there are no typos. perhaps ill take redak or something and repackage it with this feature some day.

all that being said, i would love for someone to write a nice qml gui for this so everyone would stop worrying about it already. {i do not think i will ever do this.}

Originally Posted by guillermorojaz View Post
actually is to turn the flashlight on the screen lock status, to just click on any of the volume keys, it takes some time to turn on the LED , could be shorter this time? and please excuse my English.
no worries. unfortunely, no. the API for accessing the flashlist is QCamera and it has a cold initialization of 2-4 seconds.

if your flashlight is taking more than 2-4 seconds, you have some sort of performance problem with your phone. {perhaps you use dropcache, or you run many things at once}

sorry i cant help.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Hi, wolke!

When I launch n9-button-monitor.py it gives me the following error:
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.2:/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_logicaldev_input_0: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice: No device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_logicaldev_input_0
But besides this error it works ok. Though I can't test with bluetooth media buttons because I don't use bluetooth headset.

I'm using it on N9.

Last edited by PIDk; 2013-02-04 at 13:21.

Originally Posted by PIDk View Post
When I launch n9-button-monitor.py it gives me the following error:
But besides this error it works ok. Though I can't test with bluetooth media buttons because I don't use bluetooth headset.
thanks for the report!

yea, i saw that right after release. it happens only if you dont have a bt input device connected at startup. i saw also that everything works. in fact, bluetooth buttons still work when you then DO connect a bt device later, without restarting.

so its a harmless, if misleading, error message. i decided not to fix it, because actively hiding error messages that n9bm didnt actually generate seems wrong.

p.s.: as you probably know, you shouldnt have to start this on the CLI. it should startup all by itself about 90 seconds after boot, and it should reload your changes to the conf file automatically.

added some features from lcferrum:
-n950 cambutton
-power button
-config option to turn off quicksnap and flashlight/torch
-on/off home icons {a .desktop that changes icons when you push it; these depend on sudo and openmode for now, and wont be in a deb. i will probably make a plugin for sysuid-mt-toggles someday, if anyone cares about turning it on/off nicely}

the next deb i build will have the buttons and the cam option; does anyone have a special interest in any of these features?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Have been reading the thread but I'm not clear on this: can you set a short press of the power button (from low power screen) to run an arbitrary command?

Thanks

Originally Posted by solbrit View Post
Have been reading the thread but I'm not clear on this: can you set a short press of the power button (from low power screen) to run an arbitrary command?

Thanks
first, power button support is merged into github, but not in any release. {i can build a deb for you off of master if you like}

second, the biggest missing component in n9bm is the ability to cancel the button's default action. no one has any idea how to do this. this makes n9bm useless except in standby, and in apps that override the volume keys.

SO, technically, yes, but it probably wont work because the screen will unlock first and thus you will no longer be on lowpower screen.

however, double-clicking power should work, from any screen, and may even be useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Hmm... Then it seems that what I had in mind is more difficult than I thought...
My idea was to enable the security lock when trying to unlock the screen (from low power screen) by pressing the power button, whereas double tapping the screen would unlock it as normal. I always unlock the phone in the second manner, while someone who doesn't know how the N9 works (most people) would try to unlock it by hitting the power button if they, say, stole the phone.
An attempt to make the phone useless to your average pickpocket

clever. and yes, that may work, but not consistently.

however, i think double-tapping is the more obvious unlock method, because the buttons are so unlabeled.
usually friends and such who unlock my phone try to double-tap first {which doesnt work because i turned off double-tap-unlock}.

heres the best implementation i can think of. set the click delay to 2000 millis, and set the single-click-cmd to when the screen is NOT locked. that way, 2 seconds after you click it, the screen will either be locked like you wanted and nothing will run, or it will be unlocked and then suddenly security-locked.

Yes, that's a good idea. Can you implement that?

Edit: and you have smarter friends than the people I've come across, who all start looking for buttons as soon as the screen goes blank

Last edited by solbrit; 2013-02-24 at 02:02.

Tags
harmattan, nokia n9