Notices

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Hello epage,

Do you know of any way to batch download text messages that appear in Google Voice? I recently do some heavy texting using GV and would like to do some text stats on the messages I typed and received.

Thanks.
If you're going to dig into the code to create stats, have a look at pygooglevoice for a community created "API". I believe DC was created using this project as reference.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
If you're going to dig into the code to create stats, have a look at pygooglevoice for a community created "API". I believe DC was created using this project as reference.
The stats part is easy. The problem is I don't know how to fetch messages via pygooglevoice.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Hello epage,

Do you know of any way to batch download text messages that appear in Google Voice? I recently do some heavy texting using GV and would like to do some text stats on the messages I typed and received.

Thanks.
The method I use for grabbing them only grabs them so far back and I am unsure if there are some pagination flags to get additional items. I've tried looking for the other resources I generally use but I didn't see anything that looked promising.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Just got a 900 have the One ring installed but I do not receive texts. Send works fine but no incoming notifications. When I go to conversations I see the message. Clearly I can be missing texts (and I did).

Any ideas?
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Just got a 900 have the One ring installed but I do not receive texts. Send works fine but no incoming notifications. When I go to conversations I see the message. Clearly I can be missing texts (and I did).

Any ideas?
Wow, I'm sorry I let this sit in my inbox for so long. The fact that you see the incoming message in conversations yet you lack the notification makes this sounds like one of those mysterious corners of RTComm. The reason I say this is a plugin reports only new messages, RTComm stores them off. So since you see the messages in the history that would imply that TOR did send off a notification. I'm probably doing something slightly wrong in communicating with RTComm but with the closed parts and lack of Nokia support I'm not sure what next steps to take to resolve this.

I can at least take a shot in the dark and see if there is anything suspect in your log.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Sorry dude. I reset the account in question and the notifications started working properly. Not sure what happened there.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Hello!

I have a quick question, and I apologize if it is covered earlier in this massive thread. Love your plugin, but I have an issue with it...

With Google Contacts disabled, when you send a text to someone, say, who is already a contact in your list of contacts, that 'SMS' actually appears in your conversations section as an 'IM' right? But...when you send that sms to your buddy, in the IM conversation window...your buddy's name doesn't appear, just their phone number.

On the other hand...with Google Voice contacts enabled, if you happen to have a Google Contacts 'contact' for the same person, say, their name, and their phone number, when you message them, at first, in the 'IM' window, it's their phone number...but then it changes to their name, (vwala!) as it appears in that Google Contact that has been pulled off Google's server, right?

So, I prefer it very much when I can see who I am texting, because most of the time, I am not too familiar with my friends phone numbers, well, not all. But the frustrating part about this, is that in your N900 list of contacts, it will display a separate contact for that specific Google Contact that corresponds to the 'full' contact you have for that person already on the N900. So...as a solution to combine the two...you can just merge the Google Contact, with your regular contact. But the catch is that whenever you disconnect or reconnect (actually, I am not really positively sure when this actually happens, but I know that it does) somehow these two 'contacts' get split again, and you again have two contacts for the same person, your original, and the Google Voice one.

An interesting thing to note, is that when this occurs, there is a left-over in the original N900 contact. What is left over, is a contact field just called "Google Voice." When you perform a 2nd, or subsequent merge, this field disappears, and is replaced with the standard "Google Voice IM" and "Google Voice call." Now, of course, the default fields are ALWAYS present, I believe as long as you have the plugin installed(not sure if disabling the account removes it,) these being, "Call through Google" and "SMS through Google."

Now...I believe a simple solution to this problem would be to load up the phone, do all of your merging and whatnot...and then disable the contact retrieval by imputing -1 as the contact poll period. I know that doing this will allow you to continue to view your contacts names as you have a conversation, and will prevent (I think...) the spitting of those two contacts I mentioned earlier.

My issue with this is....what if I add a contact to Google Contacts, or conversely, add a contact to my N900 contacts, for whom I will wish to send 'SMS's to in the future? If I then un-restrict the Google Contacts poll, the entire process repeats, and then there's a lot of work ahead to get everything tidy again, all over 1 new contact.

This is my 1st issue, I waited to ask a question about the matter, because I thought perhaps that I could find a solution, but so far I have not been able to. Also, as a side note, I had recently exported all of my standard contacts from the N900, and then imported them into Google Contacts(with the aim being I wanted to see their names when they txted me), and all of my pictures of my buds and their info were nice and tidy on Google Contacts....and then somehow Google Contacts got confused, and removed most of the pictures and stuff I had earlier performed, and I suspect that some sort of communication between the N900 and Google Contacts is the Culprit. It's strange, the only contacts who still have a picture associated with them, are those which have a Gmail account associated with them, specifically those which have already setup a picture for Gmail Talk.

My only other issue with TOR is this:

Back-Story;

at one point I was using Google Voice with a SIP account, using the SIP # as the callback number, and I was receiving calls and txt's just fine with this method....although I am no longer doing this because call quality was not consistent (my idea was do snag a mobile broadband SIM, and put it in the N900 for a $50 a month data plan, with GV as phone and txt service) as well as the fact that while moving, say in a car(motorcycle actually,) calls were impossible due to my location being constantly in flux.

My issue is this...my "Screenname" in TOR's settings, is my old SIP #. I have tried changing it a couple of times, but it always goes back to this one number. Although this is very minor, since when I am in an SMS 'IM' conversation through GV, I recognize this number as being "me." But it is still a little aggravating because I just want it to say my name.

One thing to solve this issue that I have not tried, is uninstalling the plugin, and reinstalling it, which I suspect might do the trick. My thinking is that perhaps the plugin uses the very first instance of the 'Screenname' and then subsequent changes just revert to the original. But I can't be sure.

Thanks for reading the long post, and if you can address any of these things, I would be very grateful.

Bye!

I might have missed some of the things to reply to within the long message.

Originally Posted by sytheii View Post
So...as a solution to combine the two...you can just merge the Google Contact, with your regular contact. But the catch is that whenever you disconnect or reconnect (actually, I am not really positively sure when this actually happens, but I know that it does) somehow these two 'contacts' get split again, and you again have two contacts for the same person, your original, and the Google Voice one.
Merging of contacts is a known issue but the framework / closed bits / lack of documentation makes it difficult for me to even know what is going on / wrong on my side to cause this behavior.

An interesting thing to note, is that when this occurs, there is a left-over in the original N900 contact. What is left over, is a contact field just called "Google Voice." When you perform a 2nd, or subsequent merge, this field disappears, and is replaced with the standard "Google Voice IM" and "Google Voice call." Now, of course, the default fields are ALWAYS present, I believe as long as you have the plugin installed(not sure if disabling the account removes it,) these being, "Call through Google" and "SMS through Google."
Similar response as above.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9016

at one point I was using Google Voice with a SIP account, using the SIP # as the callback number, and I was receiving calls and txt's just fine with this method....although I am no longer doing this because call quality was not consistent (my idea was do snag a mobile broadband SIM, and put it in the N900 for a $50 a month data plan, with GV as phone and txt service) as well as the fact that while moving, say in a car(motorcycle actually,) calls were impossible due to my location being constantly in flux.
Making the screen name field also an input for callback number (especially with not removing the callback number field) is a decision a lot of people have complained about. It was put there for two reason (1) n8x0 users don't have the "Advanced" configuration window and (2) you can change callbacks without a logout/login.

Unfortunately I am stretched thin on my apps while also working on rewriting them to support the n950. I am not too sure how much more work I will put into these issues, especially with some of them being n8x0 or n900 only with the troubles those platforms are to support. Making a plugin to an underdocumented unsupported closed source framework is challenging.

I totally understand your position on the matter, just thought I would input some things I have noticed while using your plugin....

The most recent experimentation I have done shows that actually...when you set the contact polling period to -1, those google contacts actually disappear, and subsequent IM's do not appear as the Name from the google contact, just as their phone number, which is unfortunate. I am going to see what setting the poll to 24hrs*365(8760) does...though i think it likely every disconnect and reconnect will re-split the contacts again.

In anycase, use of the plugin has become indispensable to me, I save tons of money

I totally understand your position on the matter, just thought I would input some things I have noticed while using your plugin....
I understand and appreciate it

The most recent experimentation I have done shows that actually...when you set the contact polling period to -1, those google contacts actually disappear, and subsequent IM's do not appear as the Name from the google contact, just as their phone number, which is unfortunate. I am going to see what setting the poll to 24hrs*365(8760) does...though i think it likely every disconnect and reconnect will re-split the contacts again.
TOR does treat "-1" different than large numbers iirc.

In anycase, use of the plugin has become indispensable to me, I save tons of money
Just for ease of debugging alone I use DC more often which definetly helps save me lots of money

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5