Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The N900's camera lens cover has "Tessar 2.8/5.2" on it. I guess the 5.2 means 5.2mm. What would that be in 35mm terminology?
Just a little followup. The N900 seems to have a 1/2.5" sensor, which would translate to a focal multiplier of 6, or, in other words, a 31.2mm focal length in 35mm terminology.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Attila, how did you find that info? Did you peer into the lens or something?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Something The kernel hints at a Dynastron (Toshiba) sensor. There are two 5mpix dynastron sensors, and only one of those fits the timeframe and name - the 1/2.5" one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
To simplify the question from the original post, the N900's camera is very similar in performance to the N97, though the N900 captures video at a higher resolution, but at 25 fps vs the N97's 30. The result is a better quality video image, albeit slightly less smooth. Most wouldn't notice, but true video gurus have noticed, but its not a bad video in either case. Both are DVD framerate quality.

The N86 is one of the top two, if not the best, cameraphones on the global market. Its alot better than the N900 for video and imaging, especially in low light without a flash. But the OS of the N900 evens out the battle and passes it in the HOV lane. If you aren't a serious imaging guru, or you don't have experience with Nokia's high end cameras, coming from another manufacturer's device, either device will blow your mind with its quality, and cause you to ditch your point and shoot if its not 8-12 megapixels or greater.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
The N86 is one of the top two, if not the best, cameraphones on the global market. Its alot better than the N900 for video and imaging, especially in low light without a flash. But the OS of the N900 evens out the battle and passes it in the HOV lane.
Can you elaborate on this claim? How does the OS on the N900 even out the battle as far as the cameras go? Or did you just mean more generally that the N900 has a superior OS, aside from the camera? Thanks.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Just a little followup. The N900 seems to have a 1/2.5" sensor, which would translate to a focal multiplier of 6, or, in other words, a 31.2mm focal length in 35mm terminology.
Thanks for the info. Do you know what size the senosr is in the N86? Is 1/2.5 pretty standard in cell phones? Or are there lots of different sizes?

One advantage of the N900 that I just realized it has over the N86 is that autofocus works in the video capture mode. On the N86, there's autofocus for still images, but in video the focus is preset at a couple meters.

On the other hand, the N86 has a much superior digital zoom that takes advantage of the 8MP sensor so you don't lose resolution as you zoom in. And its zoom is 8x vs 4x on the N900. And if it's true that the N900 camera is comparable to the N97, then we already know that the video images in the N86 are better quality (from comparisons in reviews).

So the autofocus on the N900 is nice, as well as it's higher resolution in video, but it's not clear (at least to me, yet) that overall the N900 is better for video than the N86.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
If you aren't a serious imaging guru, or you don't have experience with Nokia's high end cameras, coming from another manufacturer's device, either device will blow your mind with its quality, and cause you to ditch your point and shoot if its not 8-12 megapixels or greater.
Haha, I do have an 8 megapixel Canon point and shoot, though it straddles the line between P&S and starting to creep towards the DSLR feature wise (when I first bought it 3-4 years ago). I don't mind the megapixel downgrade (since megapixels aren't all that to me anymore) not to mention how often do I really benefit from taking pictures at 3000x3000 pixels? Though the lack of optical zoom is what will have me still carrying my P&S.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Haha, I do have an 8 megapixel Canon point and shoot, though it straddles the line between P&S and starting to creep towards the DSLR feature wise (when I first bought it 3-4 years ago). I don't mind the megapixel downgrade (since megapixels aren't all that to me anymore) not to mention how often do I really benefit from taking pictures at 3000x3000 pixels? Though the lack of optical zoom is what will have me still carrying my P&S.
Same here, I have a Canon PowerShot S3 IS and I do not see a phone EVER replacing that. You simply cannot have the sensor or lens size required for comparable picture or zoom quality. (it certainly is not pocket-able)

I have also used a much smaller Kodak P&S which kicked the *** of any of the pre-release N900 taken photos I have seen, but then what do you expect as it was around the size of the N900 yet totally dedicated to the task. (it also broke with hours of buying it which hopefully the N900 will not)

That said, as long as its comparable to what the Xperia X1 could do, I will be happy. I considered that to have a decent camera for the a device not aimed at the photography market.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
N86 takes better still images. I think the N900 generally takes better videos, partly also because it has more power to do the realtime video encoding: better resolution/framerate. (Or well, there might be other reasons as well.) Anyway: N86 = better stills, N900 = better video.

Still, the N900 also takes pretty good stills: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1184299@N24/ I'm quite happy with them, at least.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post: