Posts: 65 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Austria
Does (or can) this crypto discussion also cover cryptsetup /dm luks? I use this type of encryption with my desktop linux system.

* Detailed kernel compilation with cryptsetup with config images are here

* These modules were mentioned in this posting:
dm-mod (required for dm-*)
dm-crypt
Devicemapper (userspace binaries for dm-mod)
dmsetup or cryptsetup-luks (frontends for dm-* API)

* Further links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I just noticed that having sudser (which does not allow you to do "sudo gainroot", but does allow most "sudo" usages) is not enough -- you need rootsh. Otherwise this fails for me:
Code:
sudo apt-get install osso-software-version-rx??-unlocked
Anyway, I tried everything today & it all seemed to succeed, but after reboot I got this in X Terminal:
Code:
~ $ uname -a

Linux Nokia-N810-43-7 2.6.21-omap1 #3 PREEMPT Wed Sep 28 21:48:59 CEST 2011 armv6l unknown
Not, as stated in the instructions:
Code:
Linux noname 2.6.21-omap1 #2 PREEMPT [build date] armv6l unknown
I assume that this is OK based on some other comments in this thread, but please let me know if not.
Everything is OK, you just have installed the last kernel binary zImage

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Thanks, maacruz. BTW, since I installed DT I have twice gotten the situation where it won't dim and the power button fails to work. I know that this is discussed in this thread -- I apologize that I haven't grasped all the details or the current status of the problem. This is not a big problem for me because I can just reboot using the advanced power monitor and the problem goes away. But please let me know if there is anything I can do to troubleshoot the problem. Also, if I figure out any pattern for what triggers the behavior I will of course post here.

Thanks, maacruz. BTW, since I installed DT I have twice gotten the situation where it won't dim and the power button fails to work. I know that this is discussed in this thread -- I apologize that I haven't grasped all the details or the current status of the problem. This is not a big problem for me because I can just reboot using the advanced power monitor and the problem goes away. But please let me know if there is anything I can do to troubleshoot the problem. Also, if I figure out any pattern for what triggers the behavior I will of course post here.
If it happens just after booting, the problem is in MCE, a closed source component, so we can't fix it (we tried, a lot).
Workaround is to restart mce from xterm (/etc/init.d/mce restart)

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
If it happens just after booting, the problem is in MCE, a closed source component, so we can't fix it (we tried, a lot).
Workaround is to restart mce from xterm (/etc/init.d/mce restart)
Thanks. I'll see if I can identify a pattern (it's certainly not obvious that it is caused by rebooting). Re: the workaround, perhaps others have mentioned this but, for those who use Personal Menu, it's easy to create a "Command" item for that mce command you mentioned. That would be a handy way to fire off the workaround whenever needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Heh, thanks for the reminder. had forgotten about that.

I've duplicated the problem a few times in the past week. In those cases I've plugged my N810 in for the night and awakened to find it having the dimming problem. I may have set the alarm all those days. So it could be due to the alarm or it could be happening at some random point in the night. But it doesn't happen every time I plug in my N810 for the night or every time I use the alarm feature.

In these times, restarting mce has solved the screen dimming problem, but the power button still doesn't pull up the system ui menu. I have to reboot to get that back.

Are there any tests I can run now to get more information about the power button problem? Or any tests I should run the next time I duplicate the dimming problem?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
So your not using Advanced System UI, Buurmas?

If so that is interesting, as so far i had figured it was a ASUI issue.

I've duplicated the problem a few times in the past week. In those cases I've plugged my N810 in for the night and awakened to find it having the dimming problem. I may have set the alarm all those days. So it could be due to the alarm or it could be happening at some random point in the night. But it doesn't happen every time I plug in my N810 for the night or every time I use the alarm feature.

In these times, restarting mce has solved the screen dimming problem, but the power button still doesn't pull up the system ui menu. I have to reboot to get that back.

Are there any tests I can run now to get more information about the power button problem? Or any tests I should run the next time I duplicate the dimming problem?
Try restarting systemui after restarting mce

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I don't think that I have ever experienced the non-dimming bug, but I have lost the power button a few times.

Try this instead next time to avoid rebooting.

sudo /etc/init.d/mce restart

Edit: And also what Mac said.

Last edited by Addison; 2011-12-12 at 17:32.

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008