Ok, while there is a backup utility, it seems like it doesn't backup installed programs (found in the Extras folder). What's the best way to copy apps to the card?

Here's one (ugly) idea:

Code:
tar zcpf /media/mmc1/app-backup.tgz /var/lib/install
To restore from backup, use:

Code:
tar zxpf /media/mmc1/app-backup.tgz -C /
At least you don't have to be root. You do need xterm, though, or sshd. Note that this will backup/restore ALL installed apps (not just the ones that appear in the Extras menu). It will restore menu icons for those apps that have them in the Extras menu.

Last edited by gnuite; 2006-01-20 at 17:31.

Will that create the Extras menu structure as well?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Reggie
Will that create the Extras menu structure as well?

Thanks.
If you look inside /etc/others-menu, the Extras menu is actually a link into /var/lib/install, so tarballing /var/lib/install will indeed backup the menu icons in the Extras menu.

Has anyone actually tried this?
Also - will it be possible to use Application Catalog to uninstall things later?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Northern Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by ziggamon
Has anyone actually tried this?
Also - will it be possible to use Application Catalog to uninstall things later?
I made a backup of /var/lib/install this way but haven't restored it; doing it this way defeats using a package manager as it will have no info that packages have been installed unless the data files the Application Catalog uses are also restored.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The data on the installed applications is kept in /var/lib/install/var/lib/dpkg - so backing up, and restoring, /var/lib/install will act as if you'd re-installed the apps from the debs.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
don't forget to backup user's home directory at the same time ...
O Fred

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The way I do this is using rsync, details at:

http://www.bleb.org/software/770/#sync

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Lyon, France
My 2cts:
In order to prevent from reinstalling every thing when upgrading and to forget to restore something in the home directory (the backup software doesn't save the subdirectories from other applications than those installed by default, for ex, gpe) I'd written my own, one to save the whole home directory and one to save the miscellaneous files modified in /etc (ip-up.local, minircS, fstab, etc).
I do not need to save /var/lib/install since this directory is on the flash, so protected from firmware upgrade.
db