Active Topics

In that after you type in your search term, you could choose between a contact, a search, launching a program, maybe even issuing system commands like switching to a WiFi network or rebooting. I would find myself using that alot more. Right now I barely remember that it initiates a search for contacts.

It could even have an API or plugins so you could issue commands to specific programs such as play or pause to certain media program so you wouldn't have to switch to that window just to press the corresponding button. Or you could update your Facebook status, or send a tweet through it.

Oh well, a man can dream.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
That would be fantastic!

Anything new around the subject?

Well in PR 1.2 you can type to search for an application in the application launcher. Though I wish that was integrated with the desktop.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I have "categories" installed, I think it disturbes the function you are telling about. Longing for a desktop launcher

It has been a while. Is there any update NOW on the subject? Has not seen anything yet. Still searching..

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Ireland
Kind of like firefox's awesome bar? Sort of multipurpose.. search/tweet bar? But on the desktop, activated by text input?

Originally Posted by philsson View Post
I have "categories" installed, I think it disturbes the function you are telling about. Longing for a desktop launcher
I was wrong, it was only in the application manager.

Anyway, I've tried using Bundyo's Search program. It finds the desktop files (basically like window shortcut files) but it doesn't launch the program. And the scout program doesn't have the application feature.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Would it be possible to port Gnome-Do or the non Mono-based and python based Kupfer to n900?

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-07-21 at 12:31.

Originally Posted by dandiesel View Post
Kind of like firefox's awesome bar? Sort of multipurpose.. search/tweet bar? But on the desktop, activated by text input?
To be very precise. They are programs as this one for PC, MAC, iphone if you have never tried. Examples of best of these are

MAC
spotlight
quicksilver

PC
Colibri
Lanchy
Windows Vista / 7 built in

Linux
Gnome-Do

iphone
spotlight

They are used to open applications, files, emails, conversations and then you usually can add a lot of plugins to them to for updating your status on twitter, searching for a phone number through eniro or whatever...

Last edited by philsson; 2010-07-22 at 14:24.