Active Topics

23rd of June 2011, was my last day with N900.

I was using N900 for almost 14 months. During that period, this community played a major part in keeping my faith with maemo. Maemo was one of the exciting OSes that I ever used. Unfortunately, Nokia I didn't share the same sentiment when they decided to stop the support for maemo and N900.

So, I decided it's time for me to ditch Nokia for good. But looking for a replacement is not an easy task. I can say that N900 has set a certain standard on how the mobile OS should looks like, especially when it comes to multi tasking. Not to mention the browser's capability, despite lack of support from Adobe on flash player. It's easily the best mobile browser I ever used.

Between iOS and Android, it's really a tough choice. With iOS, you'll be assured of support from Apple. With Android, you'll be assured of support from Google if you are using their official devices. If you buy other devices, it's up to the manufacturers to provide the update for Android.

So the search continue for a few months. But Samsung made it easy for me when they released the Galaxy S II. And on 23rd June 2011, I welcomed Galaxy S II into my life.

It's a decision that I'll never regret.

The Following User Says Thank You to gjoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Germany
if it better suits your needs, why not, But for me the N900 stays the favourite as it offers all I really need

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
*yawn*
Sorry, did someone say something?

The Following User Says Thank You to philheaton For This Useful Post:
I want an Android, but love my n900, I´m thinking in buying a cheap tablet running 2.2 android, 7'', 512 RAM, 1Ghz, wi-fi, gps, just to satisfy my lack of games on n900...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I promise that I will never try to dedicate a thread to myself in the way that has become so popular lately. It's egomaniacal and disgusting and, worst of all -- boring.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I promise that I will never try to dedicate a thread to myself in the way that has become so popular lately. It's egomaniacal and disgusting and, worst of all -- boring.
I agree. Threads about on topic stuff like the N9 and so on are bunched together in those silly EPIC threads counting thousands of posts. Why not bunch farewell posts in one EPIC farewell thread?

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by gjoe View Post
23rd of June 2011, was my last day with N900.

I was using N900 for almost 14 months. During that period, this community played a major part in keeping my faith with maemo. Maemo was one of the exciting OSes that I ever used. Unfortunately, Nokia I didn't share the same sentiment when they decided to stop the support for maemo and N900.

So, I decided it's time for me to ditch Nokia for good. But looking for a replacement is not an easy task. I can say that N900 has set a certain standard on how the mobile OS should looks like, especially when it comes to multi tasking. Not to mention the browser's capability, despite lack of support from Adobe on flash player. It's easily the best mobile browser I ever used.

Between iOS and Android, it's really a tough choice. With iOS, you'll be assured of support from Apple. With Android, you'll be assured of support from Google if you are using their official devices. If you buy other devices, it's up to the manufacturers to provide the update for Android.

So the search continue for a few months. But Samsung made it easy for me when they released the Galaxy S II. And on 23rd June 2011, I welcomed Galaxy S II into my life.

It's a decision that I'll never regret.
Would you like a little bit of my pork thermometer to go with that? I can supply.

Because people starting fresh threads similar to this one are seeking attention.

I only read these bye bye threads to see all the sarcastic comments. beats watching soaps on tv.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Wow it's like every 2 hour right now that there is a new bye bye thread.....

i don't doubt that the newer devices are nice, i used a newer android device lately and it was smooth and such with dual core.....

But i know i will just get bored very fast because for me it turns into just a phone i can also play games on.... did that with an old 3220.....

As it is looking right now, there is very big doubt that we will see anything like our N900.
Maybe the N950 will come to the rescue, but i can't help to feel that the N900 is the last Concorde moment.

One thing i can say is that im in for the long haul, even if it will "feel" like i have an 3220 in the future compared to everybody else, and with my charging system my N900 is going to live long, even tho with my modding again and again it has already seen much abuse.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-06-24 at 22:03.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
So you dumped the N900 because Nokia dropped it?

Let me say it: there is NO phone on the market with the multitasking experience Maemo 5 has. In fact, if my N900 breaks and I can't find a replacement, I don't know where to go to. Android isn't a choice here.

Why not read on the NIT history? When Nokia stopped supporting the tablets, the community just kept going on as life was normal.