I just bought a N810 off of Craigslist, but the old owner messed up the OS in some really odd ways. I figured that I would buy it and then re-flash it.

I bought a Micro USB cable online and got it today, I am trying to flash the N810 and the computer never sees the device.

I turn on the N810 (and I hold hold the home key) with the flasher open waiting, I get the Nokia screen with the usb icon. The problem is that the computer won't start flashing.

Then I tried it on three computers (One Mac, one Linux, and one Windows)

I ran lausb when the N810 was at the flashing screen and lsusb did not see the device. Then I booted the N810 up normally and plugged it in to the computer and lsusb still does not see it.

From my google searches I found out about a program called usb control. I ran that and clicked "Peripheral". Then I plugged it back in and and lsusb sees it! But only for three seconds. So I disconnect and reconnect and it will then see it until I unplug it and reboot.(Note: this is constant between three trials after rebooting) After I reboot the behavior returns to where I started.

How can I make the USB act normally so I can flash the N810?

Is there another way to flash the N810 with out usb or a way to flash it after the device is on?

Thanks
--Citizen