I have been trying to install programs and update my N810 but I keep getting this message

"Unable to install ________.
Some application packages required for the installation are missing."

then I click on details and there is a list of "Application packages missing" but I don't know where to find them. ANY help is appreciated!

If getting these missing packages is simple, please let me know how to go about this. And if not I was also wondering if there is a way to just start clean. I really have nothing of value saved on this, mainly use it to connect to Wifi on campus and different places.
Can I just wipe it and reset it so that everything is brand new again?

Really, I just don't know what to do with it. If you need more information about it I will try my best to cooperate with fixing it!

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Depending on the program you're trying to install, it's missing dependencies and certain repositories need to be added before the app can be installed.

- What app were you trying to install?
- What other programs has this been happening with?

Answer that and we can better help you.

Jesse~

Well I'm trying to use my tablet as an instant messaging machine. Whether it be through AIM, GTalk, Skype, etc.

Found this post - http://www.internettablettalk.com/20...ging-upgrades/

and attempted that upgrade. Unsuccesfully of course.

Then I tried just updating my tablet in general by going to the application manager and checking for updates, but most of those updates require some sort of missing package.

and then finally I tried to install this Fring - http://www.fring.com/download/linux/

with the same dissapointing message and result =(

I've run into the same thing repeatedly tonight, on the Downloads page on the maemo.org site. For example, I try to download ROXTerm

Install box: Install application? ROXTerm 1.13.0maemo2 0.2 MB

I hit OK, and get

Notice: if the software is not obtained from Nokia...<verbiage deleted>

I hit OK, and get

Unable to install ROXTerm. Some applications packages required for the installation are missing.

I hit Details, and get

(under Problems)

Unable to install ROXTerm
Application packages missing: libhildonfm2 (>= 1:1.9.49)
libvted (>= 1:0.12.2mh4)

(under Description)

<a description of the functionality of the program>

(under Summary)

<a bunch of stuff>
<more stuff>
============================
The same thing happened to me before this time, and one of the missing application packages was Rhapsody (>= 0.99.5). I went ahead and attempted to install Rhapsody (which is a proprietary piece of software which I never intend to use, I agreed to their terms not in order to use their software but in order to be able to install software which had no conceivable connection with their software (the BASH2 shell, ROXTerm, and about 20 other GPL applications), and after all this nonsense, Rhapsody would not install, stopping 3/4 of the way through the install. I tried to install ROXTerm once again, and this time it only cited the two applications listed above (libhildonfm2, libvted) as missing.
====================================
So far as I'm concerned, this is a violation of the terms of the GPL, by coercing acceptance of a proprietary software package license in order to be (partially) able to download allegedly "free" software.
====================================
Also, libhildonfm2 and libvted are available nowhere on the maemo.org site.
=====================================
The same thing holds for the other applications, except in the case of the maemo version of Ruby, the install sequence ends at a box saying the software site is unreachable. This shows that whoever maintains the downloads page isn't doing their job at all. It's really frustrating to go through a lot of pop-up boxes and at the end the software doesn't install because the website is unreachable. It's a real waste of time.

Last edited by streamfortyseven; 2009-06-26 at 07:25.

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Okay, well, to install the latest beta version of the default chat client, aka RTCOMM, you'd need to go into Red-Pill Mode, which is often not recommended for ANYONE, then install the new beta. Plus, you'd have to enable Maemo Extras/Extras-Devel to be able to get the beta of that.

Strong word of caution: Do not add Extras-Devel unless you know what you're doing. There are quite of few programs in that catalog that are still in alpha/beta and can make the OS break. All you'd have to do is reflash it. Don't test programs in Extras-Devel unless you don't mind the risk that it may damage the OS resulting in a reflash.

To add new "catalogs" for you to download and install programs from:

1.) Go to the Application Manager
2.) Click the menu and go to Tools -> Application catalog...

To add Extras:

1.) In "Catalogs", click New
2.) Enter these into the proper fields:
- Catalog name: maemo Extras
- Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
- Distribution: <leave blank>
- Components: free non-free
3.) Click OK, then Close and finally click Check for updates

This should enable some of the repositories needed for most software available.

Also add the Chinook Extras if you think you need to.
- Catalog name: Chinook Extras
- Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
- Distribution: chinook

If I were you, I'd choose Pidgin for IMing as it's easier to configure and a really good IM client for the tablet, but the Yahoo! plugin is not updated and thus doesn't work without a workaround. There is one posted, but it may expire soon.

If you REALLY want the beta of RTComm, then prepare yourself.

Add this catalog:
- Catalog name: maemo Extras-Devel
- Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
- Distribution: <leave blank>

Click Check for updates but DO NOT apply ANY of the updates that are featured by the Update Manager. Instead, click Browse installable applications and then click the little binoculars on the bottom toolbar to bring up the Search function. Type in rtcomm and make sure it's looking for Application and description.

Before continuing further, now is the time to enable Red-Pill Mode. I didn't have to, I dunno why, but my device is already configured in a weird way to suite my tastes.

For Red-Pill Mode, go here.

WARNING! BE VERY CAREFUL!

Grab the installer first before rtcomm-beta-os2008 as the beta will have unmet dependencies and you have that problem all over again. When it asks you to add 2 different catalogs, add them. After that, it will ask you to install the beta. Install it, finish up the install and then disable Red-Pill Mode by doing going to the Red-Pill Mode catalog, pressing "OK" and then choosing Blue-Pill Mode this time. That will get you out of dangers way!

----------------------------------
Getting the Yahoo!
profile to work with
RTComm
----------------------------------

Once you have the beta of RTCOMM installed and you want to get Yahoo! working on it, you're going to want to edit your hosts file. Two ways to do this, but both require Terminal root access which is safer than Red-Pill Mode.

For gaining root access, go into the Application Manager, do a search for rootsh and install it. Once it's installed, follow whichever method you want.

Method 1:
Requirements - root access, X-Term, EmelFM2 (File Manager)

1.) Download EmelFM2 from here and install it.
2.) Open X-Term (Terminal), type in root and type in emelfm2 to start up EmelFM2 with root access.
3.) Navigate to /etc and double-click the hosts file which should be colored black.
4.) There's an option to edit it, but I've never seen it. If it gives you that option, edit the hosts file and simply add 202.43.216.31 scs.msg.yahoo.com to make sure the Yahoo! profile works.
5.) Save and close out of EmelFM2 and then X-Term.
6.) Open up the Chat client and connect to Yahoo! using your username and password!

You're set!

Method 2:
Requirements - root access, X-Term, Leafpad

1.) Download Leafpad from here.
2.) Open X-Term (Terminal), type in root and type in leafpad "/etc/hosts"
3.) Simply add 202.43.216.31 scs.msg.yahoo.com to make sure the Yahoo! profile works.
5.) Save and close out of Leafpad and then X-Term.
6.) Open up the Chat client and connect to Yahoo! using your username and password!

You're set!

If you need help with editing the hosts file using EmelFM2, talk to munkey261. He can help you out much more there than I can.

If you have any more questions, just ask!

EDIT: Almost forgot. If you need to reflash your device for any reason, click here.

Jesse~

Last edited by jperez2009; 2009-06-26 at 07:45. Reason: Added reflashing directions

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
You are going to need to learn to use terminal as the repos are in a sorry state right now and you may need to override things via CLI. Become root (commands varies per root package - root, becomeroot, sudo, su -) and apt-get install ______ the packages listed as problems (they are likely a problem because it detects the package can't be found in known repos: try searching http://www.gronmayer.com/it/ )

Well I ended up up reflashing my tablet, becuase it was just so messed up. Thanks for the step by step how-to!

Very much appreciate it! =)

Originally Posted by GMD1125 View Post
I have been trying to install programs and update my N810 but I keep getting this message

"Unable to install ________.
Some application packages required for the installation are missing."

then I click on details and there is a list of "Application packages missing" but I don't know where to find them. ANY help is appreciated!

If getting these missing packages is simple, please let me know how to go about this. And if not I was also wondering if there is a way to just start clean. I really have nothing of value saved on this, mainly use it to connect to Wifi on campus and different places.
Can I just wipe it and reset it so that everything is brand new again?

Really, I just don't know what to do with it. If you need more information about it I will try my best to cooperate with fixing it!
I'm having the same problem. I just got a replacement for my original n810, and the first thing I did was to enable the "extras" repository and try to add some applications ...

In Application manager, Main view, Browse installable applications, all, [some application], menu, application, details, status: "Not installable", problems

load-applet -> libhildondesktop0 (>=1:2.0.6-1)
maemo-mapper -> libhildonfm2(>=1:1.9.49),
advanced-backlight -> libhildondesktop0(>=1:2.0.6-1)
-> libhildonwm0(>=1:2.0.6-1)
bash2 -> Conflict with application packages: bash
gnumeric -> libhildonfm2(>=1:1.9.49)
ROXTerm -> libhildonfm2(>=1:1.9.49)
-> libvte4(>=1:0.12.2-0mh4)
wizard-mounter -> rx-34-kernel-modules-extra
-> portmap

I intend to flash to a newer OS, and install the necessary repositories, but this really needs to be fixed. Newbies pulling out their n810's for the first time are liable to start trading them in for iPhones or such.
--
john