Notices

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
what's the command to reinstall the original osso-wlan?

-edit- found it:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=52

(i'm asking because if you install the modified one you can't update anything anymore, kinda a big problem)

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-01-15 at 20:57.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
what's the command to reinstall the original osso-wlan?

-edit- found it:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=52

(i'm asking because if you install the modified one you can't update anything anymore, kinda a big problem)
Better approach is to pull out the control file from the osso-wlan .deb file, change the version string (delete the "-1" at the end), re-build the .deb file with that, and install using that instead. That will trick the OS into thinking you've just installed another copy of the same version of osso-wlan over the already installed one. Meaning, the version string in the new one and in the old one will be the same, so all the little bs dependencies won't throw a fit at you.

(I did this by using ar, tar, and gzip to manually unpackage/repackage everything, and vi to edit the control file, but you can obviously use whatever editor floats your boat for the editing, and you can use dpkg-deb with its various option to unpack the .deb file and rebuild it. [Hawaii posted an explanation how to do the latter in the original bleeding-edge drivers thread; but if that doesn't explain it enough for you, I can write up a more clear explanation if you'd like.)

hmm yeah i saw that, i understand the procedure... wish i could unpack .deb in windows though, booting VM takes precious seconds!

hmm yeah i saw that, i understand the procedure... wish i could unpack .deb in windows though, booting VM takes precious seconds!
Do it on the N900? That's where I did it, while sitting in a Social Problems (something something) class last week. You're going to have the .deb on the N900 anyway, and can use the /tmp directory to avoid flash storage wear during the process.

Also, you can unpack them on Windows. Not in the convenient dpkg way, but the manual way, sure. If you only want to unpack it (and are okay with packaging it on the N900 - it actually might have creating .deb support, but I never tried, and it doesn't officially say it supports creating .deb archives - though it does officially support unpacking them, and does it just fine), and open-source is of import to you, I recommend PeaZip:
http://www.peazip.org/index.html
If you're okay with closed-source freeware, the by far most versatile, amazingly broad archiving software for Windows in my experience is IZArc:
http://www.izarc.org/

The latter can both unpack and create .deb files. Also, what do you use on Windows are your archive manager? WinRAR? Something similar? Both of the above can open everything WinRAR can open and then some, and I'm pretty sure the same can be said for all the archives they can create. (Looking at their site, doesn't look like PeaZip can create .rar files, but anyone who can open .rar can usually open .zip, which is can make; and, actually, does basic free WinRAR even let you create .rar ? Last I checked unless you pay for the 'professional' version WinRAR's archive creating abilities are sadly crippled... I may be wrong about that though.)

Anyway, I use those as my default Windows archivers. (IZArc on my home machine, PeaZip on my laptop because I was feeling Open-Source-zealous when choosing which one to go with for that one.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-15 at 22:03. Reason: Typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
You can edit and save .deb packages using 7zip on Windows. Open it as an archive, edit the control file and "save" it in order to repack.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
I tried 7zip , it doesn't see the control.tar.gz or debian-binary, just the data.tar
WinRAR doesn't seem to understand .deb files either. Mine is registered but I thought the basic version is the same, it just nags a bit.
I'll try some of the other suggestions next...

-edit-
okay PeaZip has the same issue, wtf...

IZArc and File Roller (on Ubuntu) can open the deb and tar files fine but can't add anything back to them because all the compressed files are in some stupid "." subfolder

ignoring that problem, neither IZArc or File Roller will let me add files to a .deb
IZArc lets me create a deb but actually creates a zip file... argggh

--
decided to try this script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636724

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-01-15 at 23:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Huh. Odd.

(Oh, but yes, that folder structure using the "." folder is a pain, since Windows doesn't like that as a directory name. I got around it somehow... I think by extracting just the stuff inside the ./ folder...)

There's gotta be a tool somewhere for opening .deb files on Windows...

yeah i dunno, i looked pretty hard. the few things that opened it couldn't write. that script i posted worked good, although i had to look up the commands for vi

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Hey guys... I too cant boot into the Power Kernel anymore.. (guru error)
n i ndint save the lib/modules before installing the bleeding edge drivers..
Can some one give me a method so that i can get my power kernel back without disturbing the present setup of stock kernel.. bleeding edge kernel.. power kernel.. nitdroid...

I tried 7zip , it doesn't see the control.tar.gz or debian-binary, just the data.tar
WinRAR doesn't seem to understand .deb files either. Mine is registered but I thought the basic version is the same, it just nags a bit.
I'll try some of the other suggestions next...

-edit-
okay PeaZip has the same issue, wtf...

IZArc and File Roller (on Ubuntu) can open the deb and tar files fine but can't add anything back to them because all the compressed files are in some stupid "." subfolder

ignoring that problem, neither IZArc or File Roller will let me add files to a .deb
IZArc lets me create a deb but actually creates a zip file... argggh

--
decided to try this script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636724
Uhm... I think you need to try it again using different version cause it really could see control file
[IMG][/IMG]

Tags
aircrack, aircrack-ng, tutorial