I have placed my N800 next to several laptops and other wifi devices and the N800 beats them all hands down in the receiving wifi sites category. Wonder why this little device picks up so many more signals than say a laptop?

Those laptops must have awful wireless cards and/or antennas. I have an atheros card in my laptop and it's far superior to my N810. And I have realtek usb dongle that beats my laptop's internal card.

There is a setting in "connectivity settings > connections > your connection > edit > 2x Next > advanced button > Other tab" to boost the power of the wifi per each connection. When setting up a wifi connection, it's default is set to power-savings (maximum) mode.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Holy crap.

Significant difference???
Depends on what you're using. For example, my connection was horrible with my WRT-54g router until I changed this setting. Later, when I updated the firmware on the router, I could use maximum power savings again with good performance. It's a good setting to know about and try.

I don't know if there's a difference in the N800 / N810 wifi antennae
My 770 & N800 seem to have much better reception than my N810, with the N800 slightly ahead.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Its known for that IIRC it was something with the antenna placement, where this was different than N810.

The WiFi reception on the Nokia N800 is better than I have seen on other WiFi enabled devices, including my laptops at home. This thing can pick up networks further away than my computer can pick up
http://www.mobilewhack.com/nokia-n800-review/

The best thing about this Internet Tablet is its WiFi reception. I was absolutely amazed to see it discovering about 15 WiFi hotspots around my house, while the second strongest WiFi device I own barely manages more than 5 or 6 (my Powerbook only finds 2-3 for example). We have city-wide free WiFi in my town since last October via MetroFi, but my apartment faces in the other direction and it never gets signal from their access points. And yet, the N800 is the only device in my home that is able to "see" MetroFi.
http://www.osnews.com/story/17052/Re...nternet_Tablet

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
When I first got my N800, it was by far the best device I had for Wifi -- out of a good selection. Since then, I've used or set up my roomates with a couple of other machines, and it no longer has that title.

Not all wifi is created equal, I guess.

Is there some way to make a personal menu item that could get you straight to that dialog? As it stands, it's kind of a pain to get to.
Not as far as I know, but if you find out... let us know. Or, I suppose you could create two different connections for one hot spot --- one with max savings on and the other off. That way, you can easily toggle between the two? Just a guess...

I'd say Nokia has a bit of experience when it comes to integrated antennas and rf communications
Yes, the n800 has excelent wi-fi performance, don't know about n810 but I don't think it's the same...

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
I suppose you could create two different connections for one hot spot --- one with max savings on and the other off.
The power saving option doesn't increase the range, it just allows the WLAN to sleep when not in use thereby increasing battery life. The only reason it exists is that some access points have broken (or no) power saving mode support, but if power saving works with any given access point there is no good reason to turn it off.