Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
Mass DMCA takedowns by WhatsApp

http://www.openwhatsapp.org/blog/201...owns-whatsapp/
Interesting but it doesn't surprise me. They have always fought third-party clients, but I wonder why since third-party users have to pay anyway for the service. We are actually doing them a favor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Do you think it just a GitHub or DMCA can close other repositories too?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Interesting but it doesn't surprise me. They have always fought third-party clients, but I wonder why since third-party users have to pay anyway for the service. We are actually doing them a favor.
It is bloody weird, actually. As you write, it makes no sense, unless, unless.... their client does something real sneaky and of monetary value....

I don't really believe this, but is does make one wonder. If folk pay after the free period what possible loss to the Co. in using whatever frontend?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
My guess: They are preparing a sellout.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Athens
What about this message that i'm getting from my contacts?

"✅ Hello, I. Am DAVID D. SURETECH founder of Whatsapp. this message is to inform all of our users that we have only 53million accounts available for new phones. Our servers have recently been very congested, so we asking for your help to solve this problem. We need our active users to forward this message to every single person in their contact list in order to confirm our active users that use WhatsApp. If you do not send this message to all your contacts to WhatsApp, then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts. The automatic update symbol on your SmartPhone Will appear with the transmission of this message. Your smartphone will be updated within 24 hours, and will feature a new design; a new color for the chat and the icon will change from green to azul. Whatsapp will begin to charge unless you are a frequent user. If you have at least 10 contacts send this sms and the logo will become red on your platform
to indicate that you are an active user. Tomorrow, we wil begin to take messages for whatsapp for 0.37 cents. Forward this message to more than 9 people in your contact list and the what's app logo on your will turn blue meaning that you have
Become a free user for life.

Confirming this is the new icon WhatsApp ☑ 

Send it to all your contacts to update the application
♻send this to 10 people
To activate the new whatsapp calling for free version 4.0.0

100% WORKING!!! I GOT THE NEW WHATSAPP NOW... With free calls!!!"

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Looks to me highly untrustworthy!

More some kind of IPhone or Android version of the CIA/FBI/BKA-Trojan! That is activated within the icon somehow.

Are the typos within that message, that you received???

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@koznj LOL. How old are you? It's called SPAM. Ha-Ha-Ha

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
i just copied the msg. It looks suspicious indeed !

@coderus

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
That message was used first talking about MSN messenger about 12 years ago. Afterwards some modified versions of it talking about other services (or the same) appeared every 3 years. It isn't called spam, it's called HOAX.

Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, awesomeness, best_client, let_it_die, mumbai_dumbai, read_first_post, whatsapp