Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
I hadn't used GS for a while. Just tried and it doesn't give access to the full desktop site any more, it forces you down the mobile app route. However if you go to http://www.html5.grooveshark.com in the native browser you can still get access to non-crippled track playback (for now at least). HTH.
Have you tried the Tinyshark app? It works
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.exigo.tiny

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I've found an app that allows to force rotate any application, including the Touchwiz launcher and several video streaming apps that insisted to work in landscape mode only counterclockwise.

Now I can operate my Note even upside-down. Why, you ask? Well, in an Iphon-esque way, the antenna is on the bottom side, near the buttons, and when I'm in an area with low signal, my hand interferes with it and 3g stops working. When upside-down antenna goes far from hand and data flow gets unhindered and faster!

The app is https://market.android.com/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate
I think they put the antenna at the bottom on almost all phones, to reduce its SAR rating. It's better near the jaw than near your brain during a call. It would be quite nice if it were possible to include 2 antenna which switch depending on the status of the proximity sensor.

It's here as prior art, so don't even think about it Apple.

I been thinking of the same thing. Im limited to 3G speeds (not even 3.5G, let alone LTE) and placing the phone upside-down works.

Only problem I see is Android lets you have 2 (out of 4 possible) configurations:
-Portrait (with antenna on bottom)
-Landscape (with antenna on right)

Most apps only rotate between the portrait and landscape and not the inverse-landscape or inverse-portrait (upside-down)...in contrast to the iPad. There's no technical problem, its just annoying. Even worse is that the TouchWizz launcher works great out of the box, but there's no option to make it landscape...its stuck in portrait (unless rooted/have the force rotation app)

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I been thinking of the same thing. Im limited to 3G speeds (not even 3.5G, let alone LTE) and placing the phone upside-down works.

Only problem I see is Android lets you have 2 (out of 4 possible) configurations:
-Portrait (with antenna on bottom)
-Landscape (with antenna on right)

Most apps only rotate between the portrait and landscape and not the inverse-landscape or inverse-portrait (upside-down)...in contrast to the iPad. There's no technical problem, its just annoying. Even worse is that the TouchWizz launcher works great out of the box, but there's no option to make it landscape...its stuck in portrait (unless rooted/have the force rotation app)

Just use the app I cited two posts above and you get free rotation, even upside-down, for every app, including the touch wiz launcher.
I'm writing this with phone upside-down, and I get good data connection even in a difficult spot!

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Except for some scaling issues with widgets, rotation works nice. Indeed, sometimes the touchwiz layout looks better in landscape. Thanks for the heads up!

I just updated Stickit for my Note and it is significantly improved. It responds much more smoothly and gives you more control over the size of window you make. More importantly you have the option to play music video without the screen. You have to sacrifice multiview when you do that but usually I want to do something different in parallel like, browse, edit file, read mail and so forth so not a big deal as it is nice to have the video screen out of view at times. Warning, it can still be a little buggy but its definately better. This group also offers another very nice app (called OverSkreen) that allows you to set up several browsers on the screen. I just tried it today and it seems to work well. I opened three windows on the screen that can be moved around easily and operate independently. Then with those windows open one can fire up another app like angry birds or what ever. Of course, even with the Note's relatively large screen it can become cluttered pretty fast. But, what I think could potentially be more important, if you can display the Galaxy Note, via HDMI adaptor, on a larger screen and pair it with a bluetooth keyboard, you have a desktop environment with some multitasking capability.

Anyways, once I upgrade to ICS, root the Note and add ubuntu or some linux flavor I will have a nice set up that should be quite useful. As always, just need more ram and a faster processor!

EDIT: Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SReBb...3aFAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited by mscion; 2012-03-07 at 19:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
i am also in seek of something new now! i think i should go for galaxy note.

i would get it if it has....
open ssh
app like smscon
backup menu
evil alarm
H-E-N
xterminal
emulatores(ie ps2.sega genesis)
vnc viwer
and root access and how is multitasking on galaxy note?

can anyone confirm for me? or i am posting in wrong forum?

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

I've posted a partial reply for you over at XDA-developers forum, but as I said there, I think this is probably a better place for you to get comparative views from others who have used the app's you are interested in on both platforms.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
@mscion - great find on the overskreen browser! just installed it (my 1st paid app!!) & I'm loving it ... haven't found out how to make it launch in landscape and it won't seem to auto-rotate but still, fantastic step up in practical multi-tasking :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
i am also in seek of something new now! i think i should go for galaxy note.

i would get it if it has....
open ssh
app like smscon
backup menu
evil alarm
H-E-N
xterminal
emulatores(ie ps2.sega genesis)
vnc viwer
and root access and how is multitasking on galaxy note?

can anyone confirm for me? or i am posting in wrong forum?
It has ssh, equivalents to backup menu (you must get it rooted then get Titanium Backup which stores all userland apps and data, or Nandroid backup which saves every partition), plus you don't need h-e-n because it has native usb otg support. Then you have xterminals, and also vnc viewers.
About smscon, evil alarm and emulators, dunno (not my cups of tea).
You can root following online guides.
Multitasking is really a matter of task switching in Android; apps can work or stall in background according to how they are programmed. Apps are also silently closed when memory they occupy has to be reclaimed. I'm using Ram Manager to get more mem for multitasking, and indeed the Note has plenty.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
@mscion - great find on the overskreen browser! just installed it (my 1st paid app!!) & I'm loving it ... haven't found out how to make it launch in landscape and it won't seem to auto-rotate but still, fantastic step up in practical multi-tasking :-)
Maybe because I have installed the rotation app described by debranardis, a few posts up, I can get OnSkreen to launch in landscape (I'm using touch wiz).

https://market.android.com/details?i...dC5yb3RhdGUiXQ

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note