Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I have recently switched to Giff Gaff (Unlimited data is what I seek).

For anyone else interested in switching this is my advice:

- Internet speed is very good. Much better coverage than Vodafone (Giff Gaff is essentially o2).
- Connection is flakey and some pages do not load. A lot of "refreshes".
- By default an adult privacy filter is on. This takes about a week to have removed. Pain.
- The most important and the biggest turn off for me has been the quality of reduction of images on websites. o2 use a compression technique so all images use less bandwidth. As a result you get very pixelated results. Not impressed. Not pleased.

But I pay 40% of what I paid before. Its an option for some.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Previously with giffgaff, now with 3 on the £15 all-in-one deal. Use the 3internet access point (intended for dongles) and there are no content filters. Tethering via WiFi and USB simultaneously with no issues.

I left giffgaff after having a couple of SIMs blocked due to abuse of T&Cs. They don't like tethering. Things may have changed, but when I was a customer, the 'unlimited' data applied to web browsing only. Attempting to download/stream content would result in the connection being reset after a few MBs.

Good riddence to giffgaff.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-02-17 at 13:08.

Currently on Giffgaff. Becoming irate with the unstable connection, inferior speed and piss poor response to my abuse of their terms and conditions. They banned me for downloading 12GB of data in one month, and sent me an ambiguous email that pretty much said that I violated their terms, but not how.

I sent a lengthy mail to them stating (lying) that I wasn't tethering, but was using an X86 Windows XP phone. My attempts of deceit would have failed if I wasn't a master of manipulation.

To summarize, all good, unbanned, but am not impressed with their 12GB limit. Looking to go back to 3, but signal is pretty bad around here. T-Mobile won't be any better, but I'm not certain whether or not they capped speed on their new ridiculously named plan. Will have to find time to look back into it again.