Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
Well I think that AlienDalvik on nexus4 is cheating because it is commercial, one is not paying for it and it is proprietary software. In the other hand sfdroid is opensource, free and made by awesome community members.
But i would like to pay anything up to 40$ for aliendalvik. They just do not sell it that's it. What should i do. I could not find jolla phone for a reasonable price to buy so i went this way and installed aliendalvik. sadly sfdroid is not as good as aliendalvik.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Finland
Did somebody already try it with Nexus 5 (with cm11 base of course?) I have N5 with cm11 based sailfish installed, i could try AlienDalvik before i move on to cm12, 12,1 or 13 based sailfish and sfdroid.

The Following User Says Thank You to MJ m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Originally Posted by MJ m View Post
Did somebody already try it with Nexus 5 (with cm11 base of course?) I have N5 with cm11 based sailfish installed, i could try AlienDalvik before i move on to cm12, 12,1 or 13 based sailfish and sfdroid.
Try if you are already on CM11. Just tell us if it starts from settings -> android support. And if any apk installs. That would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Sep 2015 @ California
I believe the .sh tells alien where to find some N4 libraries, I was assuming this would need to be updated to point to N5 parts. I believe if this was updated, it could work...

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxunux For This Useful Post:
I searched in sh file and found some lines pointing directly to nexus 4 libs.
I searched for some libs in my nexus 5 and edited sh file. But i did not find some libs because i have base CM 12.1 on my nexus 5, but as google said that libs should be there on 4.4 AKA CM 11.
For example i did not find /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg file. But when i searched google i found this line:

/system/lib/egl/egl.cfg, which contains something like this (from a Nexus 5 running KK 4.4)

Please use this script instead

HTML Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Copyright 2013-2016 Myriad Group AG. All Rights Reserved.

####### 3D needs #########
EXTRA_FILES_3D="
  lib/egl/egl.cfg
  lib/egl/eglsubAndroid.so
  lib/egl/libEGL_adreno.so
  lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_adreno.so
  lib/egl/libGLESv2_adreno.so
  lib/egl/libplayback_adreno.so
  lib/egl/libq3dtools_adreno.so
  lib/hw/gralloc.msm8974.so
  lib/libadreno_utils.so
  lib/libgsl.so
  lib/libmemalloc.so
  lib/libqdutils.so
  "

####### CAMERA needs #########
EXTRA_FILES_CAMERA="
  lib/hw/camera.hammerhead.so
  "

####### HW CODECS needs #########
EXTRA_FILES_HWCODEC="
  etc/media_codecs.xml
  etc/media_profiles.xml
  etc/media_codecs_google_audio.xml
  etc/media_codecs_google_telephony.xml
  etc/media_codecs_google_video.xml
  "

####### LINKING LOOP #########
NEEDED_EXTRA_FILES="
  $EXTRA_FILES_3D
  $EXTRA_FILES_CAMERA
  $EXTRA_FILES_HWCODEC
  "

for x in $NEEDED_EXTRA_FILES; do
  target=/system_jolla/$x
  link=$ANDROID_ROOT/${x/.msm8974./.default.}
  ln -sf $target $link
done

ln -sf /system_jolla/lib/hw/camera.hammerhead.so /system/lib/hw/camera.default.so

# For camera socket
mkdir -p /data/misc
ln -s /data_jolla/misc/camera /data/misc/camera

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
linuxunux
I edited that sh script as i could. I have both nexus 4 & 5 in front of me. Let's hope i did it right and aliendalvik will work.

Last edited by matemana; 2017-02-06 at 07:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
Well I think that AlienDalvik on nexus4 is cheating because it is commercial, one is not paying for it and it is proprietary software. In the other hand sfdroid is opensource, free and made by awesome community members.
Amen.

If I ever needed to run Android applications (which fortunately I don't) this would be the way to do it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Agreed.

On the other hand, matemana has a point. I may ruffle some feathers by saying that but, as a general rule, based on my 15 years of experience with open-source software, when I have a choice between a professional product and something bashed together by someone in his spare time in his bedroom, I go for the former. The quality of the vast majority of open-source software is abysmal, especially in the applications domain. Stability issues, lack of QA, lack of documentation, poorly designed UI, missing or half-baked features...

There are notable exceptions, of course. I use OpenOffice (or Free or Libre or whatever the current flavour of the month is) over the MS equivalent. It is nowhere near as polished but it is good enough for my humble needs. The same goes for Avidemux. It crashes 4 times out of 5 but I can put up with it, which I would not if I had to use it professionally.

I have never used Sfdroid and I am happy to believe that it may be different. A lot of open-source systems or server applications are just as good as their commercial counterparts, if not better. Apache is a good example. Sfdroind looks like it may fall into this category.

But I can understand matemana's and other users' skepticism.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
I agree with you, but every user here want to try new things on his/her smartphone. If it works I will give a try; I'm currently using sfdroid only for Whatsapp (I open it just 2/3 times a day) and I would like to try Alien Dalvik instead (for audio/microphone and file manager integration).

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
I can confirm aliendalvik works with changes i made in it on nexus 5 running 1.1.9.28 CM11 base.
Now i'll try installing google play store and google play services.

Last edited by matemana; 2017-02-07 at 16:08.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post: