Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Aurora, IL
i noticed there seem to be two main weather apps for maemo. foreca and OMWeather. So far I have not been thrilled with Foreca and I have come to learn that I don't trust weather.com.

I tend to use national weather (weather.gov). I was wondering if there was an app to use with this site?

I just surf over to weather underground for most of my stuff. Although I've got a folder of some 25 different weather links that give me everything I want to know about weather, and that's nothing any current weather app can offer me. hehe.

Which just gave me an idea. I think I'll compile a list of valuable information that a weather app needs to have in order to be truly useful. At least in my definition. Then I'll submit it as an app request.

Why don't you trust weather.com? They're getting their data from NOAA, the government agency that does weather forecasts.

So is weather underground. The biggest difference is that weather.com has become as evil as Accuweather. They're one of the big name weather organizations that tried to block free access to taxpayer funded weather data so that they could force people to buy their service if they wanted their weather data. So no, I don't use their service, or recommend them to anyone. The only exceptions I make are for a couple of their weather maps, and only because nobody else does them better. At least not yet.

On a side note, I started another thread somewhere around here with data people could use who wanted to improve their weather apps to make them better.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
Why don't you trust weather.com? They're getting their data from NOAA, the government agency that does weather forecasts.
Thats just the problem. weather.com does not get it's information from NOAA. When I look up weather.gov (which is NOAA) and weather.com they both have completely different information for the same zipcode. For instance I just looked it up for Aurora, IL 60502 and weather.gov says is currently 70 degrees F and weather.com says it's 68 degrees F. etc....

That is why I don't trust weather.com

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
So is weather underground. The biggest difference is that weather.com has become as evil as Accuweather. They're one of the big name weather organizations that tried to block free access to taxpayer funded weather data so that they could force people to buy their service if they wanted their weather data. So no, I don't use their service, or recommend them to anyone. The only exceptions I make are for a couple of their weather maps, and only because nobody else does them better. At least not yet.

On a side note, I started another thread somewhere around here with data people could use who wanted to improve their weather apps to make them better.
Weather underground also does not get it's data from NOAA. But they are a lot closer than weather.com. If you want to see good maps try http://www.weather.gov.

Like I said in the previous post that is the NOAA and all their satellite images and every other service they offer and provide.