Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I would.
Hence there is a difference between Indian and European markets. You need to know the market before launching a product. Jolla is unlike other players here as well. They need to follow the aggressive pricing strategy with the mediocre spec and a "fresh" OS which they've got to offer - considering the fact that Android Apps is the point they are highlighting.

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2014-09-23 at 15:02.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
What does Jolla have to offer?
Sailfish OS ! If the people don't understand the difference between Android and Sailfish, then take any one of hundreds of Android smartphones.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Sailfish OS ! If the people don't understand the difference between Android and Sailfish, then take any one of hundreds of Android smartphones.
You gotta have either used a Maemo/MeeGo phone or at least have had seen it once in your life to be knowing about Sailfish. Being an average Indian, I would ask "What is Sailfish? I've never heard about it." If you explain me about true linux blah blah and gesture based OS, I am not interested. It supports Android apps? "Interesting". But why would I buy a phone at a higher price when I get "better" phones at cheaper price?

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
You gotta have either used a Maemo/MeeGo phone or at least have had seen it once in your life to be knowing about Sailfish. Being an average Indian, I would ask "What is Sailfish? I've never heard about it." If you explain me about true linux blah blah and gesture based OS, I am not interested. It supports Android apps? "Interesting". But why would I buy a phone at a higher price when I get "better" phones at cheaper price?
If you think so, go buy an Android smartphone. If you trust your privacy & security to Android, good luck.

Many users don't like Android and/or iOS, they use BlackBerry 10 OS, Sailfish, MeeGo Harmattan, Maemo 5, etc. Hey, you are in a Maemo forum, aren't you ?
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Wow, EUR210 in India x EUR349 in Europe, and there are still Indians complaining about price.

If the Jolla smartphone could be launched in Brazil for EUR300-350 it would be incredible.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
@ranbaxy, there are plenty of Europeans who will just buy the cheapest or most impressive phone based on a spec list. It's not just an Indian thing.

The task for Jolla is to carve out a market that isn't about that. Nobody is suggesting it's easy. Jolla has a number of advantages over other manufacturers but price and specs are not their strong point and they can't fight competition on those fronts. That would be a race to the bottom of the market.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So the price wasent 210 dollars in India?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Wow, EUR210 in India x EUR349 in Europe, and there are still Indians complaining about price.

If the Jolla smartphone could be launched in Brazil for EUR300-350 it would be incredible.
the problem i mentioned at the start of this thread.

i am an n900/n9 owner, i want a sailfish device, but even my enthusiasm won't fall for substandard hardware at a premium price... especially when i know i'm being overcharged in my region.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Many users don't like Android and/or iOS, they use BlackBerry 10 OS, Sailfish, MeeGo Harmattan, Maemo 5, etc. Hey, you are in a Maemo forum, aren't you ?
You're talking about less than 2% in some markets. To Jolla that's a sizeable market still.

But overall that's not a lot of people that use BB10, MeeGo, Maemo et al. Especially Maemo. And I say that as a person well aware of my surroundings.

That actually saddens me somewhat.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nothing against you, but this exactly is what Jolla is doing to Indian market.
Jolla: Hey, I have a phone and it runs Sailfish.
Average Indian: What's that?
Jolla: You don't know what's Sailfish? You better buy an Android.

End of the story.

If you think so, go buy an Android smartphone. If you trust your privacy & security to Android, good luck.
I have happily imported a Xiaomi Mi3 and am using it since the last 3-4 weeks. So far so good.

Hey, you are in a Maemo forum, aren't you ?
Am I not supposed to speak out what I think about other platforms here?

I suppose in India, Jolla is just aiming TMO members. If yes, I can count them. I would be glad to see if Jolla manage to sell a few hundred units in a couple of months

Why is it so hard to understand simple logic? 99.9% of Indian population uses smartphone for the purpose it is made for. Not for the kind of stuff you do with your Maemo/MeeGo phone. And they would buy a "better" device at a better price.

Whatever I said is my view and my analysis. I hope I know Indian market better than Europeans

Lemme reiterate. Nobody here knows what Sailfish is, and it is gonna be a flop Mark my words. Being said that, I'm outta this thread; as you've mentioned, this is a Maemo forum

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2014-09-23 at 16:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post: