Poll: Did you order a raspberry pi
Poll Options
Did you order a raspberry pi

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Unfortunately this will have to wait until I get my N900 back, but I hope I can check out QtonPi today.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I just booted QtonPi image. Everything seems ok but my QtCreator installation is probably too old for Qt5, because I get a ton of "skipping incompatible" errors.

UPDATE: After updating qtcreator and

sudo apt-get install libmpc2:i386

on my Precice x64, hello compiles but fails to run because tar is not installed on the pi.

I was expecting a full develop-on-device image with X and QtCreator and one click to run hello world, but I understand this is not the case.
My only proposal taking into consideration the nature of the image as a target only is that it should be a less-step procedure for installation.

For example tar should be installed by default on the pi, and networking should be already enabled. I will play a bit with it and report back.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, thank you for testing!

I asked my colleague Rajiv about your points and here is his answer. Note that you can find the QtonPi devs and contributors at the [QtonPi] mailing list, where questions get answered pretty fast. Thanks!

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I just booted QtonPi image. Everything seems ok but my QtCreator installation is probably too old for Qt5, because I get a ton of "skipping incompatible" errors.

UPDATE: After updating qtcreator and

sudo apt-get install libmpc2:i386

on my Precice x64, hello compiles but fails to run because tar is not installed on the pi.
Known issue. See,

https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTONPI-11

We'll fix it in QtonPi 0.3

I was expecting a full develop-on-device image with X and QtCreator and one click to run hello world, but I understand this is not the case.
My only proposal taking into consideration the nature of the image as a target only is that it should be a less-step procedure for installation.
Yes, that's the end goal. Hopefully once we open up the build tools and some of the packages, it'll be much easier to accept contributions and we can get there before Qt5 launch.

For example tar should be installed by default on the pi, and networking should be already enabled. I will play a bit with it and report back.
We don't need tar to be on the device to run the "hello world" program, as we scp the files over. There are two ways of getting tar on the image.

1. Do a "sudo yum install tar" on the device (or)
2. Build yourself a custom sysroot/device image as documented here,

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Contribut...b6a2730e3ffdae

(Btw, the wiki migration has messed up a few things. I'll also take
a look at it)

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. It seems that QtCreator scp's the files tarred and tries to untar on the device. After I installed tar everything worked nicely. (Except my MS mouse that malfunctioned and I thought it would fry my Rpi) The question here is does it use X or wayland to display the graphics? Or some other non-standard method (android style)?

Anyway I liked the whole idea very much.

Another thing, is that there is an entry in the debian rpi image sources.list that says something about QtonPi. Does that include qtcreator or only qt binaries?

Sorry for the waterfall of questions, I can ask them over at the mailing list if that is better.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. It seems that QtCreator scp's the files tarred and tries to untar on the device. After I installed tar everything worked nicely. (Except my MS mouse that malfunctioned and I thought it would fry my Rpi) The question here is does it use X or wayland to display the graphics? Or some other non-standard method (android style)?
Currently eglfs, but the QtonPi developers are trying to get Wayland instead.

Anyway I liked the whole idea very much.

Another thing, is that there is an entry in the debian rpi image sources.list that says something about QtonPi. Does that include qtcreator or only qt binaries?
Huh? The Debian image also contains Qt 5 modules, contributed by the same QtonPi developers and coming from the same place. You know, these guys are in a mission to get Qt 5 in any stack running cool hardware with good graphics performance.

Sorry for the waterfall of questions, I can ask them over at the mailing list if that is better.
Thank you for your interest! I helped twice here, if you keep liking QtonPi you are welcome meeting the devs directly there.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Huh? The Debian image also contains Qt 5 modules, contributed by the same QtonPi developers and coming from the same place. You know, these guys are in a mission to get Qt 5 in any stack running cool hardware with good graphics performance.
Yeah, I didn't phrase the question in legible english as I see now... The question is whether I can install QtCreator on the debian pi image, but I guess I can try that out tomorrow I will get my hands again on the Pi (don't have hdmi screen at home)

@qwazix
As a mean of preparation before having Your N900 back, You can try to use advices from HDMI on N900 thread, to "stream" any linuxbox to HDMI screen with Pi as middleman. It should make preparing same setup for N900 (as whole) and EasyDebian much faster, due to experience gained.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
The ignorant engadget editor claims that "finding compatible desktop apps for the Linux desktop is an exercise in futility". Last time I checked, debian had 29000 packages...

Why do they let them publish such crap?

YAY! My Pi arrived today

Currently at work though so can't power this bad boy up before tonight.

Same here - I got info about courier with foreign package, during my train travel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: