To make and receive calls using Google Voice via SIP, you need to run a server that is able to do this 'conversion' for you.

I originally tried asterisk as the server, and had nothing but problems getting it to work. Calls would ring my phone, but when I answered it would immediately hang up. Asterisk would crash, and I would miss calls, etc.

I finally bit the bullet and configured Yate as a SIP server for Google Voice. I haven't had any issues that the mailing list wasn't able to solve yet (someone even wrote a guide to press 1 to automatically accept incoming calls), and haven't had any crashing issues. I wrote a guide on setting it up if anyone's interested:

http://www.tuxguides.com/yate-server...voice-calling/

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by xur17 View Post
To make and receive calls using Google Voice via SIP, you need to run a server that is able to do this 'conversion' for you.

I originally tried asterisk as the server, and had nothing but problems getting it to work. Calls would ring my phone, but when I answered it would immediately hang up. Asterisk would crash, and I would miss calls, etc.

I finally bit the bullet and configured Yate as a SIP server for Google Voice. I haven't had any issues that the mailing list wasn't able to solve yet (someone even wrote a guide to press 1 to automatically accept incoming calls), and haven't had any crashing issues. I wrote a guide on setting it up if anyone's interested:

http://www.tuxguides.com/yate-server...voice-calling/
Nice! Is it possible to get this running on the n900?
Also: Why can't I thank your post?
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
Nice! Is it possible to get this running on the n900?
Also: Why can't I thank your post?
It looks like you can't thank posts in the 'Off Topic' forums.

I spent some time trying to get YateClient (the softphone / gui version of yate) working on the n900, and had some success. I got it into extras-devel, but I had issues getting audio to work (and the interface would have to be modified to work on the small screen).

I didn't try, but it should be possible to get the yate server to run on the n900, and then register a sip account to localhost. Interesting idea...

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by xur17 View Post
It looks like you can't thank posts in the 'Off Topic' forums.

I spent some time trying to get YateClient (the softphone / gui version of yate) working on the n900, and had some success. I got it into extras-devel, but I had issues getting audio to work (and the interface would have to be modified to work on the small screen).

I didn't try, but it should be possible to get the yate server to run on the n900, and then register a sip account to localhost. Interesting idea...
@Off topic: D'oh! Should've noticed.
@Yate server + locahost sip access: Interesting trick! Me want!
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
@Off topic: D'oh! Should've noticed.
@Yate server + locahost sip access: Interesting trick! Me want!
Lol. Yeah, now I want to try that too. This person compiles debian packages for yate. We just need him to make arm packages (I think). His source code was actually what I used to port yateclient over, but my method was pretty messy, and broke a few things.

Any hints on the best way to make a package for maemo?

I'm having some success so far. I compiled the newest version of yate in scratchbox. I'm moving it over to my device right now to give it a shot. You run ./run -vvv when in the yate directory:

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/121443/yate-...3.3.2-1.tar.gz

edit: It appears to run fine on my device. I'm copying over some config files now to give those a shot.

Last edited by xur17; 2011-07-02 at 18:14.

WIN!

I copied the configuration files over from my server, and started yate on my device. Incoming calls are working, but outgoing calls are not (it is trying to transcode to ilbc for some reason, and that codec isn't installed in yate).

I think I'll start a thread over in the announce forum, and post the compiled version. Once I get everything running I am going to try to make a package.

edit: outgoing calls are working now too!

Last edited by xur17; 2011-07-02 at 18:32.

I made an announcement thread. I just uploaded a new package to extras-devel, and I waiting for it to show up.