Notices

Originally Posted by mece View Post
Perhaps the widget is already on the desktop but invisible? You can detect it by entering edit desktop mode and you see the [wrench] in the lower left and the [x] in the upper right corner of the invisible widget. Also, if you have didn't have any python widgets installed before, the hildon-desktop-python-loader might need a reboot to start working properly.
Ok, got it working, after closing and restarting the widget. Good stuff!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Moolan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm working on the disappearing widget problem right now. Hopefully I'll get that one fixed and I can start making moving this out of extras-devel towards extras.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
http://matin.maapallo.org/site.pl/sarjis/

could it be possible to pull like umm all of these? :P

Turns out my bugfix didn't fix the bug Well I added some comics instead.

Specifically these:
The Amazing Spider-Man, Apartment 3-G, Arctic Circle, Baby Blues, Barney Google and Snuffy Smith, Beetle Bailey, Better Half, Between Friends, Bizarro, Blondie, Edison Lee, Buckles, Crankshaft, Crock, Curtis, DeFlocked, Dennis the Menace, Dustin, Edge City, Family Circus, Flash Gordon, Funky Winkerbean, Grin and Bear It, Hagar the Horrible, Hazel, Heavens Love Thrift Shop, Henry, Hi and Lois, Judge Parker, Katzenjammer Kids, Lockhorns, Mallard Fillmore, Mandrake the Magician, Mark Trail, Marvin, Mary Worth, Moose and Molly, Mother Goose & Grimm, Mutts, My Cage, Ollie and Quentin, On the Fastrack, Pajama Diaries, Pardon My Planet, Phantom, Piranha Club, Popeye, Prince Valiant, Pros & Cons, Retail, Rex Morgan M.D., Rhymes with Orange, Safe Havens, Sally Forth, Sam and Silo, Sherman's Lagoon, Shoe, Six Chix, Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids, Tiger, Tina's Groove, Todd the Dinosaur, Zippy the Pinhead and Zits

Included in 0.4.2-1. Should be in extras-devel in 30 minutes or so.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
When will this be hitting extras?

Originally Posted by evomase View Post
When will this be hitting extras?
Well I have to work out some kinks before I can push it to testing, so don't hold your breath. But I hope it will eventually.

After another failed attempt of fixing the disappearing widget bug I added some new features.

In the latest version, 0.4.3-2, (I forgot to change version number, so it still shows 0.4.2 in the about dialog)3 there are now options to jump to the oldest, newest and last viewed comics. It works like this:

when you browse forward or backward in a comic, the comics you view are downloaded and cached, and their information is stored in a database (csv file actually) and then you can quickly browse between the already seen comics. The jump function goes to the newest or oldest cached comic, so it's not the same as clicking first on a comic website.

when you switch to another comic (xkcd to dilbert or so) the place you were will be stored, so that you'll be able to jump back to where you were with the "go to stored comic" button.

Please note that in earlier versions there were pre-cached databases for some of the comics (xkcd, sinfest, dilbert, phd), so the jumping back will get you waay back, and since the images are not downloaded, the jump will take a while. If you don't want this, delete the csv files for said comics from ~/.comic-widget/ and you'll have a fresh install.

The buttons for jumping are (rather awkwardly) in the configuration menu, but it works fine like that. I didn't want to make the interface larger.

I'd appreciate some feedback on the texts in the buttons. Do they make sense? If not, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by mece; 2010-02-10 at 06:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
the menu is a bit hard to access, but i'm not sure if hildon(?) lets you do it any other way?

what I would love is there being a option that i double tap the picture and it would get bigger, like cover the whole screen bigger or just double the size. but again I doubt the interface would allow to have anything float on top of other items. but it would be great.

maybe if it could work like foreca weather, that you tap it and it would open a application that could show them fullscreen? it wouldn't be as awesome as doing the magic on desktop, but still great!

The Following User Says Thank You to Brank For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Brank View Post
the menu is a bit hard to access, but i'm not sure if hildon(?) lets you do it any other way?

what I would love is there being a option that i double tap the picture and it would get bigger, like cover the whole screen bigger or just double the size. but again I doubt the interface would allow to have anything float on top of other items. but it would be great.

maybe if it could work like foreca weather, that you tap it and it would open a application that could show them fullscreen? it wouldn't be as awesome as doing the magic on desktop, but still great!
I don't think you can resize the widget without restarting it, Clicking on the text launches the browser to the website, but I guess i could do a doubleclick option on the comic itself to launch the locally stored file in the browser. I think that would accomplish the full screen view.

Wow, that was an easy fix. Took almost 2 minutes to do. I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

In the version being uploaded to extras right now (0.4.3-4) , you can view the locally stored comic in the browser by doubletapping the picture. It's very convenient, especially if the comic has small text or you don't want to fill your desktop with a big widget.

What size are your comic widgets? I have mine at 630x280, and it's perfect for my "media" desktop. The size is big enough for my eyes so I won't be needing this new feature that much, but for tall comics it's really useful.

Mine look like this:

Last edited by mece; 2010-02-11 at 09:40.

Tags
comics, dilbert, sinfest, xkcd