Active Topics

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
When you lock the screen you are also locking the buttons. I would not want to get at the gym and have the volume change on my headphones because my phone was rattling around in my pocket!

The fact that the buttons are locked is a feature that I would expect to happen in this case.

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
With ipod touch i can change volume even if display is locked, but with n900 i cant. Seriously, this could be option in the settings menu!

The Following User Says Thank You to jsomby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
For the old behaviour you needed to press the power button first (to make the Lock Screen appear) and than you could change the volume setting.

The volume keys were looked as long as the phone screen was locked and off.

This was simply great...

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I don't even want to have to press the power button to adjust volume. The chances of the volume buttons being accidently pressed in my pocket are remote. If for example I am listening to mucis on the tube I just want to adjust the volume by pressing the volume keys without pressing power button and most definitely without having to bring out the phone from my pocket and unlock it.
Right. I could have used that while jogging this morning. The traffic gets louder and you need to turn up the volume, it gets softer and you want to turn it down.

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Right. I could have used that while jogging this morning. The traffic gets louder and you need to turn up the volume, it gets softer and you want to turn it down.
Same here, but sometimes with bicycle or at the gym or ... anywhere! It is so easy to change volume in ipod touch, but with this i first have to unlock screen, then - for security reasons put my device lock code and this is way too hard when doing exercise.

I agree the volume should be adjustable without unlocking/pushing the power button. This is the behaviour of all Nokia's phones I have used. Why is this different for the n900? The chances volume will change in your pockets are almost non existent. I have never had the problem the volume adjusting by itself...

Agreed and there's a brainstorm for that

PLAYBACK & VOLUME CONTROL WITHOUT UNLOCKING THE SCREEN

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-16 at 20:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by jsomby View Post
With ipod touch i can change volume even if display is locked, but with n900 i cant. Seriously, this could be option in the settings menu!
well get an ipod then! this is an N900, a computer

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Replace both instances of the string "tklock_mode_ind" with "tklock_m0de_ind" in /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/volume_status_menu_item.so. This will restore the old behaviour, with the exception that you can't actually see the volume slider on the screen anymore (when it is showing the "slide to unlock" screen, that is). The buttons will have no effect when the screen is off.
can you please explain how to do this?? i downloaded vim and have no idea wat to do next... i opened 'volume_status_menu_item.so' with mc but couldnt find the string "tklock_mode_ind".....

please help!

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
well get an ipod then! this is an N900, a computer
Are you being sarcastic?