Hi,

Have you verified that both the charging tip and the data tip work correctly w/ the N900?

(I saw some posts on Blackberry forums that people could get their devices charged w/ this cable, but that the data connection tip wasn't connecting to their PC/laptop.)

Thanks!

Sam

Originally Posted by denix View Post
I am a big fan of retractable cables and my existing USB-to-microUSB sync cable didn't work. So I have found I perfect solution for me - dual-head sync+charge retractable cable (black head for sync/charge, red is modified for charge only):

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/cbuymcr2.htm

Just verified it works with N900, although they say only works with Palms, Blackberries and Droids - I guess it just follows the spec...

May not be the cheapest solution, but universal - my BT headset does not require microUSB cable mods, so I now can charge N900 and BT from a battery backup using the single cable!

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by splandorf View Post
Have you verified that both the charging tip and the data tip work correctly w/ the N900?
FYI I didn't want to pay that much for a cable not knowing if it would even work especially, so I spliced my own. The longer cable has its data pins grounded while the shorter one can be used to sync with a pc. Both types of connections work great. I have a nice solar charger, and it now works charging the n900!

each adapter totaled about $5, though I'm sure you can probably dig around more and find some of the parts cheaper. I did get the added joy from being able to make my own
Attached Images

Last edited by twoboxen; 2010-01-17 at 05:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by splandorf View Post
Hi,

(I saw some posts on Blackberry forums that people could get their devices charged w/ this cable, but that the data connection tip wasn't connecting to their PC/laptop.)

Thanks!

Sam
Hmm, it's strange that I missed your question earlier...

Yes, as I said earlier - I tested the cable and both tips seem to work as advertised with my N900 - the red one only charges and the black one charges and syncs, but only when connected to a PC. I tested it with Mass storage mode by transferring some files.

Hello,

I Have a usb car charger and when I tested it with a voltage meter, it gives a reading of 5.6. Is this acceptable or too high?

cheers

larry

I'm glad I found this thread. I was doing all kinds of testing, killing myself, trying to figure this out this problem

But I found since the latest software upgrade, I don't need an extra cable or do any weird modifications. While testing with various different USB power supplies and different cables, I found that nearly every time, All I needed to do was connect the USB cable (which would do nothing), unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in. The second time I plug in the USB cable the device detects the power supply and works....

It would still be better if the device would work on the first instance of plugging in the cable, but it is a relatively small inconvenience.

Thanks
Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to robertwbrandt For This Useful Post:
DENIX: thanks for getting back!

And Robertwbrandt: I will try this trick (I have PR 1.1 now) -- but if no-go then I will order the split cable Denix posted about.

Thanks,
Sam

Originally Posted by robertwbrandt View Post
I'm glad I found this thread. I was doing all kinds of testing, killing myself, trying to figure this out this problem

But I found since the latest software upgrade, I don't need an extra cable or do any weird modifications. While testing with various different USB power supplies and different cables, I found that nearly every time, All I needed to do was connect the USB cable (which would do nothing), unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in. The second time I plug in the USB cable the device detects the power supply and works....

It would still be better if the device would work on the first instance of plugging in the cable, but it is a relatively small inconvenience.

Thanks
Bob

Ok, my Cellular Line (very good brand) car charger do not work with N900.

Worked fine with N97.

After reading this thread i've opened the microusb connector and... surpise! There is a resistor between the ground and one of data pin (i suppose D+).

So... where is the standard?

Dumb USB chargers must have a resistor between D+ and D- or only D+ must be put to the ground?

This charger works with ALL microusb devices EXCEPT N900...
I think that this is an implementation BUG of N900 that must be solved to permit users to use 43,874 usb chargers on the market...
Attached Images

I agree that it is a N900 bug. My own experience both with charging USB devices and the N900 seems to indicate this.

Here's hoping the next software version fixes it. Question: Does anyone have any experience with the other Nokia Maemo tables and USB charging?

Does anyone know if the Nokia CA-101 cables are already shorted in this way?

I have connected this directly to many desktops / laptops. I have connected to car charges with USB female sockets (originally for iPods/iPhones). I have connected to wall charges with USB female sockets (again for iPods/iPhones) and all seems to be working fine.

Perhaps this is the simple solution? Buying Nokia original cables... I got them of eBay for about £1.50 delivered.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by denix View Post
I am a big fan of retractable cables and my existing USB-to-microUSB sync cable didn't work. So I have found I perfect solution for me - dual-head sync+charge retractable cable (black head for sync/charge, red is modified for charge only):

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/cbuymcr2.htm

Just verified it works with N900, although they say only works with Palms, Blackberries and Droids - I guess it just follows the spec...

May not be the cheapest solution, but universal - my BT headset does not require microUSB cable mods, so I now can charge N900 and BT from a battery backup using the single cable!

I use the Boxwave MiniSync for the N97. Same principle - retractable cable that has both a sync/charge and a charge only connector.

I agree that it is pricier than the home-brew solution, but it is convenient.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/mini...a-n97_3550.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:

Tags
charging, nokia n900