Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Can you run this on the Jolla??? My problem with modern portable electronics is that, honestly, they aren't general-purpose computing devices any more; the manufacturers do everything they can, physically and legally, to restrict you from using the device in any manner not specifically authorized by them. And replacing the GUI is definitely not authorized by any manufacturer I know of...

(I would imagine that Jolla would not have any interest in allowing you to use a different GUI, as pretty much the only product Jolla has to sell is their GUI... )
Well, I've started to to slowly build GTK 3 packages from Fedora 22 in the Mer OBS. More or less just for fun and to see if it is doable (recent GTK3 should work just fine on Wayland).

But there are also some very nice GTK 3 apps that would be nice to have on the Jolla phone - for example the Coreburd Twitter client - and Jolla tablet - Meld, Virt Manager, Firefox, Libre Office, Gimp, etc.

I don't have much time for this effort currently, so no promises or timelines. But help is definitely welcome!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
okay, so you got your mobile device in your coat or jeans pocket, an USB cable in your backpack (i always have one for the ~4 Ah battery i carry with me...) and...
in which pocket do you put
  • the printer?
  • the scanner maybe?
  • the OCR? (maybe it fits in the backpack?)
    (btw, did you see OCR on jolla ?)
  • and what not (?)
The answer is, of course, you don't!

It's all context, man, context. When I'm walking on a beach or through a forest, then yeah, I don't want _any_ bulky devices anywhere nearby. (Heck, having an electronic device at all in those situations is probably odd to begin with.)

But 99.9% of the time, I'm not walking on a beach or through a forest. Here's my dream scenario:

Let's start at home (where I spend a great deal of my time, and where I suspect lots of other people spend lots of their time): I set my Jolla Tablet onto a stand, and plug it into the powered USB hub sitting next to it. Already plugged into that hub is my superb Kinesis Advantage keyboard and my comfortable Kensington Expert Mouse, along with an old terabyte hard drive containing some audio and video media, and a USB audio dongle connected to some cheap computer speakers (an audiophile I am not ). I have it play some music in the background and set it up to monitor my e-mail, while then moving to the standard desktop computer sitting on the other side of the desk to get some work done on that machine.

Later in the day, I decide to drive over to my brother's house. I pop the tablet out of the USB Hub (shutting down what needs to be shut down first, not sure how easy this will work) and go to my car. I connect the tablet to my charger, connect the audio output to my car's audio system, and listen to whatever podcasts I have downloaded to it.

Once I get to my brother's place, I help him out with managing the inventory sitting in his garage (as he's got a small retail business), using this fine old laser barcode scanner (which is much faster and easier to use than camera-based barcode scanning!) connected to the tablet. After that, we go back inside the house, and I once again check my e-mail (and perhaps do some more inventory-related work), using the tablet connected to my "breakout bag": basically a laptop bag containing a portable keyboard, mouse, and powered usb hub.

Anyway, something like that. The combination of a small, portable, battery-powered computer that you can use where bulky devices are inconvenient, along with the ability to use those bulky devices in situations where they are convenient. Best of both worlds!

i have a powerful enough laptop at home
I once had a big, powerful laptop; in fact, I still have it around here somewhere... It's got a truly comfortable keyboard, huge screen, plenty of CPU/Ram/HD space. Basically, an entire office on-the-go. And eventually, I realized that it was so dang heavy that I never wanted to take it anywhere.

A tiny portable unit plus an array of docking stations is definitely a better solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I don't have much time for this effort currently, so no promises or timelines. But help is definitely welcome!
Unfortunately, I've already got my fingers in to too many projects at the moment. (And besides, I won't have a Sailfish device to develop on until they start shipping tablets to the third batch of early sailors... Although I am trying to get my own apps up and running on the Sailfish SDK emulator right now. )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Unfortunately, I've already got my fingers in to too many projects at the moment. (And besides, I won't have a Sailfish device to develop on until they start shipping tablets to the third batch of early sailors... Although I am trying to get my own apps up and running on the Sailfish SDK emulator right now. )
A Jolla device is actually not needed at this early stage of the effort - it currently amounts to:
  1. pulling SRPMs from koji
  2. extracting tarballs and spec files from them
  3. putting them on Mer OBS
  4. tweaking spec files until the package builds or adding missing dependencies (GOTO 1)

It is still quite a long way of from having something runable (and therefore actually needing a Sailfish OS device or its emulator).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, I've started to to slowly build GTK 3 packages from Fedora 22 in the Mer OBS. More or less just for fun and to see if it is doable (recent GTK3 should work just fine on Wayland).
That is really nice to hear... I somehow had the impression that GTK is X-only, and porting to wayland would be a real pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That is really nice to hear... I somehow had the impression that GTK is X-only, and porting to wayland would be a real pain.
I don't think so. I can already run F22 with Wayland and it almost works not so bad.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Dubai, U.A.E.
Speaking of design... Here is something that i made earlier.

Name:  Jolla2Concept.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  28.5 KB

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlazingBird For This Useful Post:
We're a year after this post now: http://reviewjolla.blogspot.se/2014/...-big-news.html Who knows maybe by end of 2016, I find 2015 unrealistic with tablet and sailfish 2 work.

Is this our jolla 2? http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...hanghai-715542 I wonder what the radio frequencies will be. I suspect if nothing else some people in India will sell it on places like ebay.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:

Snapdragon 410 or 600
4,7" display with 720p
1 GB of RAM
8GB internal storage
2300maH Battery
SD Card Slot
4G/LTE
8MP back and 2MP front cam
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS/AGPS

http://www.gizbot.com/mobile/news/mw...re-026654.html
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...hanghai-715542