Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Photo from Karoliina Salminen's blog of the Hildon UI running on a laptop computer at way beyond 800x480. This is just a teaser of what is coming from Lucas, she notes.

Hm-m. This means future generations of internet tablets can be freed from the hardware specifics of the Nokia 770. (I changed "internet tablets" to lower-case, because I got to thinking how a UMPC might be dual-bootable, plus there's that H9 UMPC we heard about earlier in the week.) Nokia could release a next-gen tablet with such a different spec sheet that the 770's end-of-life could be extended as as the low-end, lowest-cost (and more restricted) model.

I wonder too if this doesn't lead to overlapping and smaller-than-full-size windows in Hildon too, an in-no-way-beloved limitation of the current UI.

OK, Lucas -- let's see more!

-- Roger Sperberg

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
About 10 minutes before your post, he obliges:

http://blogs.gnome.org/view/lucasr/2007/02/09/0

Looks very good

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
About 10 minutes before your post
Is that an indicator of "internet speed"? Or just how long it takes me to put things into words and find all the links?

My initial reaction was the latter, but now I'm inclined to the former -- but it'll be a while before "see it and post one thought" becomes my modus operandi instead of "see it, then editorialize at length and post it."

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Photo from Karoliina Salminen's blog of the Hildon UI running on a laptop computer at way beyond 800x480. This is just a teaser of what is coming from Lucas, she notes.
RogerS - I'm pretty sure she is a he.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-09 at 15:16.

But ", she notes" -> ", Karoliina notes", the way I read it -- and Karoliina is definitely a female name in Finnish. Lucas, on the other hand, is a 'he', but that's not how I read the sentence at least.

She (Karoliina) has several pics on the first part of her blog.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
One of my plans is to keep looking for a touchscreen driver for m UMPC and try to install it there.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
She (Karoliina) has several pics on the first part of her blog.
Oy... my bad! I'd been reading the blog for another Fin also called Karoliina and I thought she was a bloke I hadn't seen any pictures, just assumed from the writing - oh well, we know what happens when you assume, it's so true!

My one question is why? I don't find the Hildon UI to be that great and I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat for a real desktop.

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
Its just to say it can be done.