so how can I do it? Do I have to install PC Suite?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
There's currently no desktop backup solution (that part of PC Suite doesn't work with the N900). You'll need to use the on-device backup application, then copy the backup file to your desktop.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
what does the build in backup cover? everything? for example if i reflash the device completly to set it back to a out-of-the-box state... does it get all my settings back?

Last edited by mason; 2009-12-10 at 14:50.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mason View Post
what does the build in backup cover? everything? for example if i reflash the device completly to set it back to a out-of-the-box state... does it get all my settings back?
It offers backup of:
  • Communications and Calendar
  • Bookmarks
  • Settings
  • Application list

I've not tried a restore yet, so I don't know how well this all works.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I personally using BackupPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BackupPC) server.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikhmv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
i can copy all the stuff in $HOME over to the pc, thats not the problem, but whats with all the settings i made? can anyone confirm that all settings are stored in $HOME ?

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Except some system settings (usually in /etc) and some program could use files in their folder (/home/opt/.....). But if you didn't make manual adjustments than most of settings in $HOME

Originally Posted by mason View Post
i can copy all the stuff in $HOME over to the pc, thats not the problem, but whats with all the settings i made? can anyone confirm that all settings are stored in $HOME ?
I can't toally confirm it, but most every setting that I've seen is stored in $HOST as gfconf settings or dot files/directories. Well except for device lockcode.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
The default Backup application can for example store the backup file to the MicroSD card that you can insert if you have one (near to the camera if you remove the back).

I just tried to backup with the Nokia PC suite. It works, but the backup is more than 400 MB, while if I make it from the n900 on the mmc is just 2 MB. How can it be possible?