Active Topics

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks for this - I recommend everyone who got it installed to manually overwrite using original version, via dpkg -i <downloaded_file>.

@szopin
While I agree about it being -devel "and the usual warnings", it's not the point here. It got same name as package from SSU repos, thus overwriting it during update, despite *not* being proper actualization, nor it was meant to. Plain wrong situation. Yea, it's mainly due to lack of common sense on uploader side (sadly, which he got history for :/ ), but also a secutiry hole in repos system.

The later will be probably addressed via Community OBS, but for now, some quick fix is needed.

/Estel
Will defend marmistrz here. devel is devel. It is for development and testing, people who got this as a constant source and count on it not breaking their system are at their fault. Maybe testing (moving devel to testing) is going too slow for most, or maybe they require constant feel of being bleeding edge... devel should stay devel, fix things elsewhere

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
BackupMenu if you ask captain hindsight, reflash if else
if i wasen't know as Dr Frost or Frost, i would so use that as my user name, can't stop thinking about south park right now and how ignoring a person one would be.

-------

You should not have updated that package.

/Captain Hindsight.

-------
sorry for the brain fart hehe, and thanks for the warning about this package..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Assuming you're going for vacation... does not compute.
Nope. But also possibly being without Inet for quite some time, so like always fetching the latest updates a couple days before.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Nope. But also possibly being without Inet for quite some time, so like always fetching the latest updates a couple days before.
For? Expecting a bugfix? Sure. Having a working PC do we download 'Antivirus-helps-protect-your-compooter-from-ID-thieves.exe' just so we are safe from threats? Devel got close to none verification of uploader (or is email @emails.for.that.one.page.registering.com worth anything?) so should be treated as untrustworthy source. Those warnings should return. Update-all is an option for extras only (maybe extras-testing too, not sure)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
OK. Sorry, I didn't expect any issues to come out.
1. Is it possible to delete the package from -devel (or make it not install)
2. Is it possible to tell in debian/rules to use the libraries from somewhere else to link and -dev files from somewhere else to include (only editing debian/rules, not all the source files) and so on?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
2. Is it possible to tell in debian/rules to use the libraries from somewhere else to link and -dev files from somewhere else to include (only editing debian/rules, not all the source files) and so on?
Not sure on deletion part, but maybe just download source of previous version, touch all files and push as maemo2 version or something?

Not sure on deletion part, but maybe just download source of previous version, touch all files and push as maemo2 version or something?
It'll be still confusing. If the build-depend is libxau-dev (>= 1.0.5) it'll be accepted and it shouldn't. Any other ideas?
edit: Is there some extras-devel admin so that I can contact him to remove the package from repo?

Last edited by marmistrz; 2012-04-28 at 12:58.

Wait, pushing previous source/build will depend on newer??? No way to remove failed or wrong depends? Not sure I got that right

Nope, there are no packages that depend on newer libxau6 uploaded yet.
But I wouldn't port it if it wasn't needed as a depend for other apps (libxi6, which depends on libx11 and libxau6 and so on and so on)

If I make libxau6 v. 1.0.6...maemo2 containing the old files, it'll satisfy build-deps for sources which depend on newer version. This may be veeery confusing

If I could tell make: use the version from /opt/meecolay/include for includes (when it's not full path, just like "#include <iostream>") and libs from /opt/meecolay/lib for linking.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I cannot help you with first question, but a good start for me would be contacting repo admins/maintainers (are they active? I remember there was an issue when Pali wanted to become Titan's power kernel maintainer). If it breaks important system package, it may even be a good idea to contact council. Maybe even qgil, his maemo.org's profile states he is from Nokia and happily he seems to still care about N900).

Ad.2
I guess you would need to change makefiles or configs (if they are properly written, maybe it would require only a change of DEBIAN/rules file). You have to trick the linker to link to other library/other version of library, try debian packaging tutorials, I remember reading somewhere about similar situation, but don't get over excited - afaik even somewhat-official Debian multimedia repositories have conflicts wth official Debian repos due to package versions conflicts (what a mess...). You should definitely change something anyway, I know this is extras-devel, but some packages take forever to go higher (or even they never make it), many people have devel enabled just for software like psx or other game console emulators, to name a few.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post: