Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I'm sad to announce that Nokia has still continued to keep the Nokia Messaging service exclusive to devices served by carriers. If you don't have a registered SIM, no Nokia Messaging for you. Its a stupid move, and I think I'm done with Nokia services. All those years the US carriers locked them out of the market, I stuck with Nokia. I use VOIP for communications, and don't want to bother with the carriers anymore. If you prefer to be SIM free, don't use Nokia's services.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Turns out I could be wrong.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=16

Only reason it shouldn't be there is if the carrier offers a branded Mokia Messaging service. TMobileUSA could have done that, but I doubt it, so can someone please explain why some US N900 owners arent able to use the service?? QGIL? Nokia? Anyone?

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Turns out I could be wrong.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=16

Only reason it shouldn't be there is if the carrier offers a branded Mokia Messaging service. TMobileUSA could have done that, but I doubt it, so can someone please explain why some US N900 owners arent able to use the service?? QGIL? Nokia? Anyone?
I replied to that post. I'm on T-Mobile US Nokia Messaging shows up an a Service Provider option.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Still, they have a tendency to do things like that. When they introduced thesync service for Ovi, it was impossible to configure if you weren't able to receive a text message. This ruled out not only Nokia internet tablets as clients, but also everything you would want to sync to, like a PC that doesn't run windows. (Windows-PCs, as far as I remember, could be used because of the software Nokia provided.)

In the end it didn't matter because the service didn't really work (and still doesn't), and they even allow you to work around this SMS-requirement now, but it shows their way of thinking.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I'm in Germany. Simply registered for Nokia Messaging, put in my email address and password, and start enjoy pushmail...

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I'm sad to announce that Nokia has still continued to keep the Nokia Messaging service exclusive to devices served by carriers. If you don't have a registered SIM, no Nokia Messaging for you. Its a stupid move, and I think I'm done with Nokia services. All those years the US carriers locked them out of the market, I stuck with Nokia. I use VOIP for communications, and don't want to bother with the carriers anymore. If you prefer to be SIM free, don't use Nokia's services.
Sorry for this slight off-topic, I'm just trying to understand the situation here. So you're not using cellular services at all or just not on the N900?

When I tried this - even though the N900 was shown when registering it - the link it sent me was useless - defaulted to S60 client.

Nokia really do have to lift their game with this stuff
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
When I tried this - even though the N900 was shown when registering it - the link it sent me was useless - defaulted to S60 client.

Nokia really do have to lift their game with this stuff
Never mind I am an idiot - just found Nokia Messaging as an option in email setup
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900