Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
The Portrait Keyboard app replaces your virtual keyboard. In EITHER landscape or portrait. It was basically something w00t and I think frals pulled out of an earlier version of Maemo, cleaned it up a little, and submitted to devel. IF that's what you installed at some point, then it will override your system-wide keyboard. There IS, however, a way to switch them (using a command available in another part of the thread for that app. Though for me using it resulted in "killall hildon-input-method" always crashing the terminal. I think everyone else had the same bug. I never fixed it until my reflash, when i didn't bother reinstalling the app due to lack of any progress/completion).

So, if you have that app, then in landscape, it will show a T9-like keyboard with a text box for your keyboard, with the text box on the left of the screen and the T9 keys on the right in landscape, and textbox above the T9 keys in portrait. However, keep in mind to all you eager readers, it doesn't actually do T9-like input method. It's just the button layout that is T9. You have to press the keys manually multiple times to get to a certain number or letter.

Now, if you're getting a system-wide landscape T9 layout and don't have Portrait Keyboard installed, that's a very new bug, at least to me.

Right but the portrait-keyboard (I think that's what it's called) gives you a portrait keyboard. The downside is that it also replaces your landscape keyboard with an alphanumeric keyboard (t9). I don't believe there is a t9 virtual keyboard installed in PR1.2 or PR1.3, don't know about 1.1, didn't own my N900 back then.

edit: beat me to it.