Active Topics

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I've asked X-Fade to add me as a second maintainer, but the answer was that the system cannot have more than one
Perhaps a joint admin account can be created, and the password for it shared amongst the developers. You can still commit under your own names, then log into the admin account to push packages? As people come/go you share/change the password.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@ woody14619, Estel :

Well, there are always options when there is a will. But unfortunately , having in mind CSSU-T situation and long saga with kernel-power repo bug(the most important community projects as of now), I don't see such. And I can bet on the result of merlin1991's try to take CSSU-T maintainership.

On the other hand - do both of you guys remember me asking you to apply for community council elections ? With all my respect to SD69, but he is just not pro-active enough to help. Anyway, lets wait for the promised meeting with Nokia, maybe something will be done at last.

While I really won't like it, moving CSSU-T outside of maemo.org seems imminent. It just cannot continue in that way. Lets hope I am wrong and merlin1991(or whoever but not MohammadAG) become a maintainer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Dozens of applications stagnating at extras-testing while being able to be promoted...

Everyone using devel as the only repository for almost everything....

I think a complete move out of Maemo.org is unavoidable.

Resistance is futile.

I've been rumbling about it on IRC since a long time. We are wasting momentum thanks to MAG missing in action all the time. There are a few people who wrok hard to make N900 better and thanks to MAG gone in the wind normal users can't benefit from developers hard work. This just isn't right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
@freemangordon

While I generally agree, I'm afraid that in current situation, SD69 can't do anything, no matter of any pro-active drugs he may take. Furthermore, I'm quite afraid that in his position, I would be exactly powerless - there just aren't *any* real tools that council have, if Nokia (and, X-fade as it's extension) isn't willing to help.

Of course, this only apply as long as we're "tied" by relationship with Nokia.

Both You and ivgalvez are right about need to move projects into sphere that is actually controllable by contributors - yet, I think that it would be best to move *all* infrastructure out of Nokia's "patronage" - no matter if under maemo name (which I doubt is possible) or not.

Of course, this require fundraising, creating foundation (part, where I feel least able to propose constructive roadmap, as - unfortunately - I have no experience in solving legal issues of creating such entity), etc. the sooner, the better.

I know I'm off-topic'ing here a little, but somehow, it feels really related to CSSU and others nice projects future.

[personal rant]
It's always sad to see a person that contributed great amount of incredible stuff, becoming such miserably irresponsible. Shame on You, MAG - I would never expect, that I would have to write such thing about You, and would like to never have to.[/personal rant]

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hi,

after I installed the marvellous CSSU update the built in RSS reader is not showing favicons and some images are missing too.

I have "Load images" ticked but for some threads images are not loaded anymore.

Anybody else experiencing similar problems?

This only happens with 8 out of ten sites. for example. .

Maemo.org does not get a favicon in the rss app or widget nor does ps3iso, or ps3hax.

But Kotaku.com works perfectly with the rss app and widget.

Is there any way to solve this issue? Its difficult to differentiate between different website feeds.

Also this problem is solved with a flash . And one more shocking discovery!!

Even after a full flash the rss feed app and widget will still contain the feeds subscribed to before the flash.

I dont even know how its possible but this seem like a pretty scary thing.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm quite afraid that in his position, I would be exactly powerless - there just aren't *any* real tools that council have, if Nokia (and, X-fade as it's extension) isn't willing to help.
Agreed. Same reason I was against running. That, and the fact that I tend to ruffle feathers, and would be hard pressed to win an election here. I often say what I feel is right, and what is true, neither of which tends to be very popular.

I think that it would be best to move *all* infrastructure out of Nokia's "patronage"
Of course, this require fundraising, creating foundation.
Or... We could start the process of reproducing the garages into opensource git servers, and cloning the existing repository into one supported by the Debian initiative. (I'm pretty sure we can find allies there willing to help there, as many have suggested in the past.) Yes, we could only do that for Extras, CSSU, and such for legal reasons. But we have to start somewhere. And if we have 100% of the source there, and all but the binary-blobs there, that lowers what Nokia has to keep running. Static repositories and image servers are quite easy to maintain, and are much more appealing to Nokia, I'm sure.

[personal rant]
Shame on You, MAG
Whoa now... I understand your frustration, but understand what's happened here. We're talking about a pretty young kid (starting freshman at university) who was pushed by others into biting of more than he could chew. He was actively avoiding taking on a leadership role just 9 months ago because he wasn't sure how much time he would have when school started.

If this were someone in a paid position, or someone with experience in this, and an otherwise stable life pattern, yes, scorn would be merited. Also, from what I can tell, MAG hasn't been online at all. He could have been in an accident, or snowed in without net access. Or maybe some other major life event has occurred. It's clear that he's made a choice to vanish, like those that have hopped onto the N9 ship and are in those forums now, but not responding here for N900 stuff.

This kid knew it was going to be a task, and that his life was going to go into blender mode in short order, and gave plenty of warnings about that. Blaming him now for something we knew was coming just isn't right.

I for one appreciate what a lot of folks here have done, MAG included. While I think some could have (still could) make life a little easier by putting in just a little effort to assist transitions as they leave, I don't think this one is quite as clear cut on who's to blame.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Agreed. Same reason I was against running. That, and the fact that I tend to ruffle feathers, and would be hard pressed to win an election here. I often say what I feel is right, and what is true, neither of which tends to be very popular.
Considering fact that there were only 3 people throwing their names into hat, and up to 5 of them could candidate *without* need for any election (i.e, for example, you and me candidate to would make Council count 5 people, which still result in no-election mode) you would be automatically granted the right to volunteer as Council member, taking bites for things, that aren't in scope of your powers

Or... We could start the process of reproducing the garages into opensource git servers, and cloning the existing repository into one supported by the Debian initiative. (I'm pretty sure we can find allies there willing to help there, as many have suggested in the past.) Yes, we could only do that for Extras, CSSU, and such for legal reasons. But we have to start somewhere. And if we have 100% of the source there, and all but the binary-blobs there, that lowers what Nokia has to keep running. Static repositories and image servers are quite easy to maintain, and are much more appealing to Nokia, I'm sure.
+1. Any possible "roadmap" about how we should start?

Whoa now... I understand your frustration, but understand what's happened here. We're talking about a pretty young kid (starting freshman at university) who was pushed by others into biting of more than he could chew. He was actively avoiding taking on a leadership role just 9 months ago because he wasn't sure how much time he would have when school started.

If this were someone in a paid position, or someone with experience in this, and an otherwise stable life pattern, yes, scorn would be merited. Also, from what I can tell, MAG hasn't been online at all. He could have been in an accident, or snowed in without net access. Or maybe some other major life event has occurred. It's clear that he's made a choice to vanish, like those that have hopped onto the N9 ship and are in those forums now, but not responding here for N900 stuff.

This kid knew it was going to be a task, and that his life was going to go into blender mode in short order, and gave plenty of warnings about that. Blaming him now for something we knew was coming just isn't right.

I for one appreciate what a lot of folks here have done, MAG included. While I think some could have (still could) make life a little easier by putting in just a little effort to assist transitions as they leave, I don't think this one is quite as clear cut on who's to blame.
I also appreciate his former contributions, and would generally agree, (and if he was really catch into position without chance to leave us a sign - i.e. arrested, caught into snow/sand/meteorite/whatever storm, hit by a bus etc, I would gladly excuse, and bite my own shoe + tongue as lesson for further), except for one thing.

No matter if he predicted problems or not. It's easy enough to drop one liner "guys, I got enough, I'm leaving now - sorry". Heck, even without "- sorry" it would be ok. I agree that putting effort into smooth transition when he want to leave would be much appreciated, but I would not say a single bad thing (and would grill others ranting about that) even if he would screw transition and just *inform* that he won't be contactable for fixed/unfixed amount of time.

Disappearing without any warning is act of extreme disrespect for plenty other people contributing to CSSU, and he's old enough to know that. We've been through this with Titan (and, there is good chance that current problems with promoting kp are derivatives from his behavior), and it's a no-go for me.

/Estel

// Edit

Yet, I must agree with one thing. Situation, when repos are organized in such a way, that one disappearing kid can showstop work of whole CSSU team, is even more no-go, and even more likely to being blamed, than kid acting as catalyst. That's why I think we need to make roadmap of git servers transfer, as fast and possible, discuss it with SD69 (I'm sure he will be more than happy to help), and start doing so.

Even considering plans of fully cutting bounds with Nokia, i think it's better to fundraise having something that works (i.e. people actually see, for what they're donating), and it could greatly boost morale for not-trivial process of transferring into legal non-profit entity.

On IRC, joerg_rw stated that he may donate server for a few months for that purpose (disclaimer: it was hypothetical talk, so don't bite him if he would finally not decide to do so), and I'm pretty sure there would be more people willing to intensively contribute - both by work and money, when needed - until we would finish requirements to start fundraising without any legal doubts.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-10 at 23:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Maybe not snow in Israel, but there are other constant dangers there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 1,260 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by dattadude View Post
Hi,

after I installed the marvellous CSSU update the built in RSS reader is not showing favicons and some images are missing too.

I have "Load images" ticked but for some threads images are not loaded anymore.

Anybody else experiencing similar problems?

This only happens with 8 out of ten sites. for example. .

Maemo.org does not get a favicon in the rss app or widget nor does ps3iso, or ps3hax.

But Kotaku.com works perfectly with the rss app and widget.

Is there any way to solve this issue? Its difficult to differentiate between different website feeds.
CSSU is not touching RSS Reader, at least for now .

Originally Posted by dattadude View Post
Also this problem is solved with a flash . And one more shocking discovery!!

Even after a full flash the rss feed app and widget will still contain the feeds subscribed to before the flash.

I dont even know how its possible but this seem like a pretty scary thing.
Looks like you haven't reflashed it properly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arcean For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing