Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Montevideo
Saw that appeared something on Silverlight 4 here, and called my attention that the subtitle of the article named MeeGo.

Apparently they won't use Moonlight (available already for Linux), but that Intel is porting directly MS Silverlight code to MeeGo (hopely for all processors that it will run, not just Atom).

Can't say that i'm fully excited by Silverlight in particular, but the good news definately is how much Intel seems to want to push the platform..

If it's platform specific in any way I doubt it will end up in the MeeGo core, especially not if it is Microsoft's code.

Maybe because if Meego has to be on every consumer device it has to support Netflix streaming - hence Silverlight ?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Nokia has an old MS agreement to port Silverlight to Maemo and Symbian (there's a Symbian beta already).

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
this was already discussed I think. use the search.

netflix uses silverlight and believe they were(or have) hired an android developer. meego will probably soon follow. keep your fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Maybe because if Meego has to be on every consumer device it has to support Netflix streaming - hence Silverlight ?
I think netflix streaming requires some form of drm though. At least i could never get moonlight to work with streaming.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think netflix streaming requires some form of drm though. At least i could never get moonlight to work with streaming.
netflix wants to be on more devices. with meego being for all sorts of devices I don't see why they would not make some way of acheiving this. I don't think they will use moonlight. Actually, streaming worked for a little while i believe. The trick was to say you were using a mac and it would bypass the activex problem. They upgraded their drm and moonlight does not support it though so it wont work.

If Silverlight is to be supplied, then it'll be by device vendors. It won't be part of the base MeeGo stack.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Silverlight on Meego will be an epic win. Silverlight is a powerful platform.

As long as it smooth and not as slow and unresponsive as flash it would be a positive. Hopefully it's not some half assed port.

Tags
meego, silverlight