Notices

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Should we create some standards for app icons, beyond the obvious size restrictions? i.e. maybe something like top left, bottom left, bottom right corners rounded, top right corner squared?

Or something along these lines? Some basic standard to present some continuity when browsing the app menu?

Last edited by joshua.maverick; 2009-12-10 at 03:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
I think this is a good idea. We need something uniform that can apply to individuals and then add some functionality that allows users to adjust their icon size to give it that, "open/custom" feel.

Let me know if you need help with anything.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Yes. In fact, I had the urge of starting a community icon catalogue back at the summit, but RealLife interferred :-)
We need: common style for e.g. apps, actions mimetypes, status etc.
Suggested route: take a look at the tango desktop project and their icon theme. Merge with stock Nokia Icons (copyrights?). Improve.
(Personally, I don't like the tango icons - too much detail/noise overload, not iconic enough IMHO - but good overview of what is normally needed)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Why not just use the existing iconset as a reference? E.g. no background, vivid colours, no gloss.

Also consider the highlight when an icon is pressed. That looks horrible with icons that are too large, so there should be enough padding around the icons.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Make some guidelines, but don't force it to be used.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Without meaning to pour water on what is a good idea - maybe something that ought to be considered is the existing guidelines?

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...yle_Guide.html

Last edited by Fargus; 2009-12-10 at 15:27. Reason: Legacy URL Link - changed to updated.

Hrm, I see, maybe no backgrounds is the way to go then.

isn't there an icon design doc for maemo somewhere? Also, if the icons are backgroundless, should they max out the space, i.e. should the icon be 48 pixels wide, or should there be some buffer?