Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I beginning to think HP WebOS is my next OS its a shame it isnt fully opensource :-(

But as long as the Meego isnt release any phonehandset (thanks Elop but youre an idiot) and the reference UI of touchpads is kinda halfdone/laggy I dont see any competer to webos it seems to be the best atm :-)

I still beleive Meego could succes but as long there isnt any good HW its just nothing. I mean those tablets shown on MWC is just "reference devices" nothing else...

Keep post comments heree about what u know about WebOS :-)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-16 at 13:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
WebOS is a fantastic system, much better than maemo or anything else currently on the market. The limitations it has had are hardware and app development. And although it isn't fully opensource, it is very pretty good when compared to iOS or others out there.

Hopefully the Pre 3 is a good phone, I'm definitely considering a switch.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmc8501 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I'm interested in WebOS, but I don't find any of the upcoming devices that appealing. The Pre 3 looks OK, but I would prefer a side-sliding keyboard. Also, the build quality does not look that great from the videos I've seen.

My website

GitHub

My brother said they had the Pre 3 in the office for couple of days last week, he said the keyboard mechanism started creaking after such a short time. Probably a one-off but it doesn't instills confidence.

Last edited by philh; 2011-02-16 at 14:00.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
when you compare meego and webos (all the layers below the actual user interface), is there much difference? i want a system that's basically a linux kernel with components i know from the desktop (x, bluez, dbus, gstreamer... you know...). i would like to be able to run shell scripts, ssh into the phone, run qt-applications that i wrote myself,...

i don't really care if the top layers, applications and UI, are open or closed.

could webOS deliver this for me? (apart from the fact that i'll still have to find a place to order a device here...)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I'm also considering WebOS if I get desperate.

Not too smart to make the "we're moving to Win Phone 7" announcement less then a week after HP blew it out with all of those amazing new WebOS device announcements.

I've been looking over at WebOS Internals and while they don't seem to have nearly the home brew support of Maemo, they do have some interesting packages available on their repository including Upstart, VNC, QT libs, and a full X server and associated libraries.

VERY promising. Even if it's not as true an X11/Linux system as Maemo out of the box, all of the ingredients are available.

Check out the preware repo contents here:
http://git.webos-internals.org/

Last edited by cddiede; 2011-02-16 at 14:15.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
HP needs better hardware designers. Hopefully they can poach on of the Nokia guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
They announced yesterday they will send "all qualified developers" a palm pre 2 device for free.

http://developer.palm.com/blog/2011/...opportunities/

Don't know what "qualified" means, but I'll see...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbo For This Useful Post:
is there a bash shell, gnu utils and ability to run chroot apps? If not, what good as linux woud it be?

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
is there a bash shell, gnu utils and ability to run chroot apps? If not, what good as linux woud it be?
There is a terminal app available. You can put bash on it, and several GNU utils will run on it.

Again, not as good as Maemo, but a really good start.